Need some recommendations 1k-2k DD Headphone

Hello everyone,

I am very into this hobby of headphones and audio…to the point I have tested out and used quite a few headphones now. I believe I am finally getting an idea of what I enjoy by what I have listened to.

Quick background on my progression:
Started out with mostly “gaming” headsets…biggest step up was going to a Sennheiser headset before I finally got into an actual headphone with separate mic.

So, started with the TYGR 300. Then went to a HD Zeus. From there I splurged for a Focal Clear MG Pro. I absolutely loved the MG’s but had to get rid of them due to comfort issues with my skin and reaction to the pads. Big damn shame on that.

Now I am using the Arya Stealth edition and I do enjoy them. I wouldn’t say thoroughly though. I enjoy the stage, they sound so damn clean to me too. The bass is very nice as is the treble not being too bright…I just feel like it’s missing that slam I enjoy. I just miss that punch/slam of a DD headphone like I got with the Clear MG Pro’s.

So that’s where I am at in the stage of things. I want a 1k-2k Dynamic Driver headphone that has the punch/slam that I am missing. I’ve not listened to a ZMF Auteur…but I am intrigued by them. Price is about right and though it’s not the VO (would love to have those) it seems to be the next best thing.
Am I missing something else though?

My genres tend to lean towards Rock, Hard Rock, Electronic, Hiphop…but then I also like to throw on some easy listening with heavy vocals… jazz… I just enjoy music in general.

I know for sure I would not enjoy something like the 800s simply because I need more then stage and treble. I am not a basshead, but I do enjoy bass done right. Probably prefer a neutral to warm sound for sure.

Lastly, I am driving my chain from a Modius/Jot2. Love the stack.

Alright, I’ll listen and respond to comments below as you all help me further this journey!

Dude …you can find used ZMF VO and VC on headfi for sub 2…that’s where is go…there was a scuffed up pheasant wood version up today for 1600

May I suggest you try the MG Pro with different pads, perhaps from Dekoni or Elex pads? They both use different materials than the stock Clear MG Pro pads, and that may fix your skin reaction problem.

2 Likes

Funny enough that is exactly what I’m looking at right now. I just want to make sure the sound is still good with the pad swap. I may go the route of the Clear MG vs the Pro and see if it had anything to do with the dyes on the red pads. Great suggestion!

1 Like

Good luck! If you’re concerned about the sound changing, I can say the Elex pads don’t change the sound too much with the Clear MG, at least to my ears. It brought the mids forward a tiny bit. Don’t know about the Dekoni stuff though, I heard they change the sound more noticeably.

1 Like

If punch and slam are your thing, maybe a Fostex T900 mk II, leaving open the option of Lawton modding later if you want to refine them even further?

Just curous what kind of amping do you have to do to get Fostex to slam? While it has quite abit of sustained bass the slam department is servery lacking having a long drawn out attack peak making it sound fluffeh.

Esp in comparison to the Denons and the hifiman R9/10 where everything is nice and chrisp.

The ZMF Auteurs are pretty tasty! I own a pair of VCs and a pair of Atriums and I’m actually thinking I might order a pair of Auteurs down the line anyways because they are definitely a cool headphone that gives a refined take on fun, bassy tuning. I have never heard the Clear MGs, but I have heard the Clear OG and I definitely prefer the comfort, build, and bass on the Auteurs.

However, I think you got some good advice by previous posters. If you know you love the clears and these fellas say you can find pads that won’t change the sound too much, then I think that it makes a lot of sense to go with that. It seems like the closest thing to a can’t miss purchase.

Quick question though, are you going to sell your Aryas in order to snag the DD headphones or will you be keeping both?