Need something more powerful than Schiit Asgard

@Pechorin I listen to mostly classical and vocal jazz and have the Asgard too.
(previously topping e30 dac, now Bifrost OG and sometimes use a Loki mini eq.)
With Sundaras the pot is usually around 11 even with classical and with my
Beyer dt 880/600 around 2, occassionally 3. I asked Schiit if that was pushing the Asgard too hard and they replied that it “should be just fine.” Others here with more expertise, but that’s my experience, for your consideration.

If those profiles have a negative pregain and those presets have also negative gain we are speaking about -12 to -15 db gain so no wonder you need to push the volume
Normally you need that negative pregain if you boost a band in the picture they have made the save thing and lowered the other bands so not much pregain needed :wink:

1 Like

Maybe adding a Loki or a Lokius might be more beneficial and a cheaper solution, that way you won’t have to deal with the gain values, I use the Loki and I like it, mainly because I don’t have to deal with gain.

2 Likes

a thought…what is your source volume at? if you’re pulling off a PC, is the PC volume at 100%? is the app volume you’re playing from also at 100%? everything should be 100% with the only control affecting it being the volume knob on your amp.

2 Likes

@Marzipan An often overlooked point. Good reminder!

1 Like

Are you sure that preamp gain is negative? That could be your whole problem.

When I’m using the Schiit Modi, it completely takes over the audio.

The Asgard should have plenty of power, like others have said, maybe try increasing the input gain slowly. There’s plenty choices if in fact you want something else. The Jot 2 would be the best bet. If you’re at all interested in tubes, the monolith liquid platinum is on sale for $499. It’s a solid hybrid amp. The topping L70 or a90d would fall in your price range, but sound more neutral/linear.

If you’re looking for a DAC/amp combo the Hifiman ef400 would probably be a good choice. On sale for $499