🔷 Neumann NDH20

I knew for a fact that statement wasn’t true, It would be like you saying " I’m going to put Chewbacca in the Yard sale, she sheds too much hair."

I searched for alternatives since these have a lot of issues.

I found the Ultrasone signature DXP

• much easier to drive
  • lighter
  • short portable cable + long one
  • smaller form factor
  • bigger soundstage

might not be as detailed as NDH tho.
But maybe they will be more U-shaped than the NDH

If you look for “fuck me with details” maybe the signature studio a better option but not as portable as the DXP (much harder to drive and not as isolating)

this is just a research and not from personal experience, I just though it maybe helpful for someone.

2 Likes

Use case is a combination of both the shape/size/fit and the sound tuning, the Z1R is BIG, non foldable, and less isolating, its also expensive and has a protuding metal grill you would NOT want to ding them while carrying/ transporting/ heck using (mad) them outdoor.

not everyone can be a daredevil like this guy.

Also, the tuning (note, i have tried and demoed the Z1R pretty extensively form a local Jaben here, HDH20? just from reviews and forums), the Z1R is a spacious, bass emphasized, U shaped tuning beast, that clearly follows no rule of neutrality, completely the opposite of the Neumann, also Z1R has more of a relaxed tuning, the comfort also support that, which is far from the most uncomfortable closed back, nay, its one of the comfiest.

So, with that aint it pretty clear that the small, foldable neutrality and detail beast NDH20 is aiming for a completely different market than Z1R?

2 Likes

Sorry, I was replying to PapaEmeritus and forgot to click the reply button. Also, you misread “frown” as “forum” ? :slight_smile:

(I said to him “Why the frown? Your wallet is frowning too?”)

Got my NDH20s last night and from the time I got home from work until I went to bed I couldn’t take them off. I didn’t find have any problems with the comfort of the pads, the headband I adjusted a few times just because of a little discomfort on the top of my head. So far I powered them from a JDS labs EL amp and the monoprice THX portable. Both powered the NDH20s no problem.

I think we should have a list in here of cables that have been attempted and did not fit and ones that do fit (eventually, if any). That being said I was using the coiled cable and did not mind it, definitely does have some weight to it so it’s not completely ideal but it’s okay. Straight cable I am trying to relax it a bit because it does have some stiffness to it.

4 Likes

Hi, can someone tell me what dimensions have pads in the Neumann NDH 20?

100mm outer, and 50mm inner.

1 Like

Posted this on the reply but repost here bc i just saw it lol:

so can confirm 1. better on tube and 2. zmf suede not advisable. zmf pads just are too big and do not fit into the groove to slide the “skirting” into place (think dt1990s without the little notch to slide it through). these def remind me of a closed back aeolus and heritage hp3. theres enough rumble in the bass for me to be happy. good detail. decent space. highs seem well represented. vocals are well detail but idk they sound muffled a bit between the upper bass and lower mids. maybe just a product of being so closed or just need to listen more and get used to. overall i like them so far. not sure if ill keep for $500 (i have some living situation changes coming up soon so making some hard money choices).will give it some time. setup is usb to monoprice monolith thx portable>little bear portable. no eq used

2 Likes

I’m curious what your take is on those pads, I am a fellow earpad horder and I just ordered the XL and Ovals yesterday. I know you don’t do pad reviews, but hopefully they are good.

I put them in the freezer just to see how that would hold up… The memory foam became rock hard but stayed cold for a LONG time. If you let the air-conditioner blow on them they hold cold for a good amount of time.

1 Like

how is the soundstage and imaging on these? you never mention in the review thus im asking.

NDH 20 day. YAY! I hope they don’t kill my ears!

1 Like

Would you put any closed back headphone ahead in imaging and soundstage

Please let us know if it was worth it.

1 Like

Are they fast enough to keep up with very busy tracks and keep everything separated and clear ?
Any update on portable cables ?

These are the only things that hold me back from pulling the trigger.

I was on the fence with these headphones for the past couple of weeks, but this review put me over the edge. My setup also requires a ~1.2m 3.5 mm cable for portability if needed… if anybody finds a solution that doesn’t require hacking up the headphones or cable let us know. :smiley: I can’t wait to get these in the mail on Saturday!

1 Like

So Zeos my friend - watched your review - I have the DT1990’s - I’m after a closed back. Would these compliment the DT1990’s??

More bass than the 1990’s??

I’ve had no desire to put on any other headphones since I got these earlier this week. These tick every single box in my opinion. ALL the detail without ever being even remotely harsh, exactly what Ive been searching for the past 5 headphone purchases.

2 Likes

Thanks, they do not give this information anywhere

How about the comfort of NHD20 in everyday use? NHD20 pads are not too small? I currently have an iBasso SR1 on PT1 pads and I am thinking about replacing them just at Neumann. Comfort in the iBasso SR1 is great.

1 Like