🔷 Neumann NDH20

100% this. I almost exclusively use them with my DV. They get some much width and color with the right tubes.

Still my favorite closed back

3 Likes

I might be talking bollocks but IF you add treble to NDH20 and a good tube amp you get the M1ST. It feels like the idea is the same (sound or goal) but NDH20 is more fun but honest and M1ST is the best ever heard to date. I seem to need an open treble focused headphone asap. I might get an heart attack just from listening to scooter xD . I love spending on music

1 Like

Hi new here, i also got the hart audio cable for the NDH20. I swapped it, and swapped back and forth with original cable a couple times to test. it went fine, works great. Picked burnt orange, has a great feel to it, compliments the inner pad nicely enough for me. There might be a color that matches closer, but i thought burnt orange sounded kinda sexy. anyway, i also recommend it

3 Likes

i was gonna go with the same look if i ever got a hart cable for mine

I have: Argon mk3, t60rp, b&o h6, hd58x jubilee, m40x

Hi, sorry to bother a year and a half later, NDH20 vs T60rp as M40x upgrades, would you say the NDH20 are worth the 200 dollars more? (looking for a new neutral close backs and have an ifi zen dac)

1 Like

So since that post was made, ive mad a ton of changes. T60rp and m40x are both long gone, but the NDH20 is still here. Personally i think its a better all arounder than the t60rp by a long shot, but this may come down to your personal sound preferences. Its of a similar signature to the 58x and 6xx. It never gets sibilant which was important for me because i am very sensitive to that frequency region. The t60rp however, was often sibilant for me. Of course this will depend on the music you listen too, and your source gear, but i tried the t60rp on many different setups and could never get the sibilance to a level that i was comfortable with.

1 Like

I would be very interested to hear peoples opinions about the Austrian Audio Hi-X55,
have the feeling you guys would like it…alot. Sry if this has been suggested already.
@ZeosPantera ever tried those cans? it even involves a “revenge story” since Austrian Audio are ex-AKG peeps doing their thing

Not over here as far as I know.

@ZeosPantera well maybe u heard of them, just had to think of you when watching this
cheers

1 Like

I got these because I thought they’d be good for voice over editing-- they’re, so far, absolute crap. The sound is good, but every time you so much as move your head a millimeter, you get cable microphonics in the right cup. I can’t see myself using these for more than a few days. It’s beyond distracting. Was that a breath? NO IT WAS THE FREAKING CABLE. I expect better from Neumann.

2 Likes

Have you tried different cables?

How do these compare to the Modhouse T60RP Argon modded headphones? I am looking for soundstage, detail, neutral/flat, closed back headphones. Thank you

1 Like

You won’t get soundstage with these, but you will get detail, neutral/flat (with a slight bump in mid bass) in my opinion. They also really open up with a tube amp.

2 Likes

Hey @ZeosPantera!
Thank you very much for your reviews! I am struggling now between buying NDH20 or used Fostex X00 or DT1770 for studio work especially for monitoring low frequencies and sub bass for my techno and house productions. Unfortunately in my city only DT1770 available to listen.
So what could you tell about these 3 in terms of overall sound quality, sound stage, instrument separation and low freq response (especially quality)

Thanks a lot in advance,
Max

For studio work & techno/house - NDH20 or TH-X00.
As far as I recall, Neumann is the more “professional” sounding compared to the TH-X00.
However - I do think the TH-X00 has a flatter frequency response compared to the NDH20.

I consistently read not so good reviews about the tonality of the DT1770.
Most reviewers cited here like DMS, Joshua, Zeos also had a dislike for the 1770.

Please correct me if I’m wrong.

If you want to monitor subbass & low to midbass, TH-X00 seems to be much more constistent
and linear compared to the other headphones. With the DT 1770 pro having the most “janky tonality”

1 Like

NDH20 are almost always my ideal work can. If you could do open the 1990 would also work.

2 Likes

Thanks for the reply! I listened to 1990 but the high frequencies are so sharp and it’s too much of them that hurt my ears. So it was unreal to listen like half of the reference tracks without freq. correction and for me that wouldn’t work in terms of additional reference monitoring. I tried to use Sonarworks with DT1990 in the shop and Sonarworks made some nice freq. correction but it also made the sound more narrow and less detailed.
I even liked HD650/660 more than DT1990 overall just because they are more honest and flatter. The only thing I liked in DT1990 is their sound quality (you really can hear many nuances in the track, some quite sounds and every instrument is separated) and soundstage that is wider than Sennheisers’.

1 Like

I feel kida bad for despising this headset so much. I had to return the ones I purchased within a few hours of owning them. I found them heavy and hot, like to a level where it became painful to wear. Sound wise they are okay but having owned other cheaper headsets like the HD6xx and HE4xx, these sound meh. Zero bass and an almost shouty presentation, which can be attributed to my ears adjusting to the set. Sadly the weight and pure displeasure of wearing these made any attempt to enjoy the sound a moot point. For $600 CAD I would reccomend getting something like the Argon Mk3 or even saving more and going with something like a set of Elex or even put the cash toward the soon to be released HD8xx. Its just too highly priced to impulse buy, unlike something like an HD58x or HE4xx. Bummer drummer guys.

I know these are supposed to be work/production headphones but with how uncomfortable they are I doubt I could get anything done without getting a headache.

1 Like

Seems like a lot of personal preference in this post. That’s totally fine though, everyone has their opinions, nothing wrong with that.

Of all the sets I have currently, I’ve had the ndh20 the longest and have no intention of getting rid of them. I personally don’t consider them to be particularly shouty. The comfort issues I can see being an issue for some.

I do feel it should be noted that the other sets you recommend have quite a different signature to the NDH20 and each other.

2 Likes