Never heard of Feliks-Audio before

Hello,
I bought the Euforia a few weeks ago.
Originally I wanted to buy the Echo 2 but because I have mostly low-ohm headphones, that wouldn’t have made sense.

The Euforia is quite passable, it is more neutral, dynamic and slightly warm.
I miss a little bit of the tubby sound.
The overall sound is definitely no Mcintosh.
It has 3 weaknesses.
It is only conditionally planar capable and tends to be less suitable for this.
It needs a powerful bass headphone so that it is sufficient because it is quite neutral and the bass can seem a bit thin. Good candidates would be the entire Fostex th/tr xx, Denon D7200,
Focal.
The Empyriean is highly praised but the headphones are simply too expensive.
The last point is the tube family.
The 6as7g are dying out at the moment, and in terms of price you can get tubes, but they are usually more expensive and tend to be rather mediocre tubes.
No overkill,overkill tubes are sometimes found but not justified for 400$/€.The popular We421a is hardly found anymore,if it is,then very very expensive.
With the 6sn7 version it looks better, there are 2-3 tube manufacturers who make good tubes at a good price.

We can only hope that the tube makers will produce the 6as7g again so that the market recovers.

With the whole Feliks series, it would be good to see what the tube market looks like beforehand.
So that you don’t get a nasty surprise.
You have to blame Feliks a little bit because they were a little bit asleep when it came to the choice of sockets.
But 5-6 years ago it probably looked different.
Nevertheless, an upgrade option would be desirable for owners of a Feliks, if that is possible.

There are enough posts on Head-fi that have tried other tubes with conversion sockets.
But the amplifier has not been designed for this.that should be taken into account.

2 Likes

Hey :wave:t3: @ckhirnigs Pendant, BHC, LYR3, CTH, as of right now. I don’t have the Bifrost 2 any longer. I am now invested pretty heavily into Matrix DACs including their flagship.

2 Likes

Echo 2 has landed! Currently giving the first play to my audio mistress…

Great little amp… Does very well in my mind with the ZMFs… Very happy with mine.

1 Like

Nice @Jetman !!! I am trying with the Clear MG first then I will play
it with some other headphones too soon. The tubes need to burn in too so I have to hold most of my impressions until then…

Of course… It takes a little time but not bad… Had mine around 45 days I believe, My favorite on it is the Auteur but my Camphor burl Aeolus is also nice on it. Seems you have one of those which is what sent me on the chase after them.

1 Like

How are you liking the echo2 so far? I’m looking for something to pair with my Aeolus and VO and really like the price point of the echo vs. the Elise or pendant. Will the echo work well or should I wait for one of the more expensive options?

1 Like

Hey @phoenixbt listening to it right now! Let me switch over to the Aeolus and the VO in a few. I will be doing a first impression live stream next week too.

2 Likes

Thanks so much! Curious to hear your thoughts. I love the stream you guys did with the Pendant vs. Elise, so will definitely be listening in to the Echo stream as well

1 Like
2 Likes

Hey guys! (TIME UPDATED) Live Stream will be on Saturday, April 17th at 1 pm PT (Los Angeles)

Feliks Audio Echo MKII OTL Tube Headphone Amplifier First Impressions Live Stream

Hope to see you all in the live chat!!!

Much Love,

Marcello

3 Likes

Hello,
For those who find the Elise/Euforia too “neutral”.
Here is a tip: E-6SN7 from Lin Lai for the driver tube. Together with 6080 Sylvania they are a gamechanger, less neutral, more warm, more powerful bass, mids and highs remain at Ps Vane level. And are a little more musical than the Ps Vane. Planar headphones goes more better with the Tubes.
The price may be a deterrent for some, but it’s worth it.

Changing the fuse has also made a bit of a difference.
Hifi Tuning Supreme 3 Gold.

Hi Mon just got the Feliks echo 2 and was curious what DAC you would recommend? Would be using senn 600,650,beyerdynamic 1990,T1,880,Focal clear,elex.

Oh nice, well I haven’t heard the 2 yet but I enjoyed a bifrost 2 or ares ii for the most part, moreso the bifrost as long as you wanted to maintain that warner smoother relaxed nature

Ok cool! I do have a bifrost 2 in my main listening room. I’ve been listening to on modius and enjoying it a lot. I finally got the soekris 2541. They came in about the same time so I tried them together but I actually prefer the modius :man_shrugging:t2: I haven’t paired the 280 with 2541 yet but that is my Saturday project but the amp in the 2541 sounds amazing to me. Can’t wait to get everything set up.

Yeah that is not a good match with the Feliks lol, def try the bf2 on there

:+1::+1::+1:

Just got a secondhand Echo2 hooked up to Gumby and damn. I may like this better than the Mjolnir 2…The shit is Euphoric…acoustic guitar pops. I’m running Verite closed and 10 song confirmation direct A/Bing - the Feliks takes the cake. May swap the Gumby for Bifrost 2 - if it can retain 95% this sound and call it a day just sell Gumby and MJ2 - They take up all the spaces on the desk

6 Likes

Does BF2+ Echo2 retain 95% of Gumby and MJ2?

Also anyone heard both the Echo Mk1 and Mk2? What are the differences? From their pricing I get the impression that Echo 2 is more at the level of Espressivo 2 which is now gone from the lineup, I suppose they have no intention to continue a entry level tube amp like the Echo 1

After more time A/Bing I think I’m just drawn to the tube -ishness. MJ2 is solid and presents really well…to the point were I wasn’t enjoying poor recordings quite as much. I mean this is apples to pinapples - Hybrid MJ2 Vs OTL Echo2.

The potential buyer I had lined up was really eager for the MJ2 and ended up coaxing me into a sale by offering bit above my initial asking. However I sat down with the two (bifrost 2 and gung) and ran them ~ 1.5 hrs today to A/B off Feliks Echo 2…Bifrost 2 is easily at 95%…staggeringly so… I’d argue 97-98.5% of Gmby.

So my home rig now has a few different flavors to mix and match:

Bifrost 2
V
→ Jot 2 (solid state)/ Built in 4490 → Verite Closed
→ Feliks Echo 2 (OTL) → Sash Tres
→ Lyr 3 (Hybrid)/ Built-in Multibit → Focal Clears

Added bonus - I can re-pad my bank account.

1 Like