New 350$ Planars -Thieaudio Phantom

Oh god help us don’t bring colour and gender into this lol…On a serious note, got a pic of the new wiring configuration?

Here is one side. The other is neater with the wires over the glued on foam. I would not go as far as to call it a configuration… LOL

Fallopian%20(Small)

3 Likes

I wonder why the wire change?..a strange one that.
I’m picking up some 3mm foam tomorrow to try instead of the 5mm I used previously…at the mo I still prefer the standard grill with the material :open_mouth: ( in the minority here :grimacing: ) as opposed any mods apart from the Brainwavz XL pads.
Will keep trying mods but tbh they’re a great pair of cans in their own right, to be tweaked as people hear and see fit.

3 Likes

I agree they sound good to me stock.

Tried the grills off and there was hardly a change to my ears on the short test. I could hear how far away my hands were from the drivers with the grills removed. With the grills on, it hardly affects sound unless I’m almost touching the grills. Tried it with the right side with a grill and the left side without and it dint seem to make a sonic difference. I probably have bad ears, and the office is not the best place to have tried that… :slight_smile:

I also did a left cup of the HE4XX and right cup of the Phantom, both connected to a Y-splitter single ended. On some tracks you can hear the thin and sibilant nature of the HE4XX.

It does seem most people who have the Phantoms love them as stock (Pad change) including myself…I measure mine with closed eye, nodding smile responses :grin: and not frequency graphs :flushed:

4 Likes

Thanks for the pic of the second version Roamer, definitely worse looking that the first without the mesh on the grills… Looks like a very sad and failed attempt at a twisted pair.

I just a notification mine would be delivered this Friday (I live in Berkeley), so I imagine the rest of the states will see theirs next weekish.

The foam I ordered and linked in my previous post came in and is much coarser than anticipated, lol. I’ll give it a shot anyway. It’s 1/8" thick (~3mm) and looks to have a cell size of a couple mm.

Also, if you are interested in making your own comparison measurements, I just started a new topic showing a super easy way to make comparison measurements for free with your phone - Easy (but rough) frequency response measurements!

4 Likes

The more personal mod audio feed backs the better :+1:

3 Likes

Hope this is ok to post.
XL hybrid on sale at Amazon today

4 Likes

I’ve got some 3mm foam so I’ll try this over the weekend and see how it compares to the 5mm previously used…

5 Likes

Day 297

Still no sign of other batch 2 owners. Water and food supplies are running low, and the men are getting restless. I fear a mutiny may break out soon…

Mine just arrived in Germany. If i get them on Monday i consider myself lucky. Hope u have stock for at least two more days😁

1 Like

Mine showed up in Cincinnati this morning after leaving Hong Kong yesterday :slight_smile:
Probably I’ll get them Monday now I’m guessing.

2 Likes

Mine (ordered 8/20) were in Cincinnati yesterday and are in Tampa this morning. Hoping I’ll get them today. Extra anxious in light of a terrible review they received from a major reviewer. Don’t wanna say much because that review is behind the Patreon pay wall, but it definitely quelled the hype. We’ll see who I agree with when I get 'em.

4 Likes

Oh dang. Well based on this thread and the reviews that are already out there I’m sure that they have the ability to sound amazing to a lot of people. There’s always going to be some variance in how headphones are received…
Also, maybe something was wrong with the pair they had, who knows if this brand makes a reliable product or not.

1 Like

Mine should be delivered today .
XL pads will be delivered today.
Could be a nice weekend of Audio Bliss

3 Likes

Enjoy mate…and you will :+1:
Lots of tweak this or tweak that but the best upgrade you can make is the one you’ve already made the XL pads…As they stand at $350 they have no planar contenders imho.

1 Like

Ok no fancy frequency response graphs but after a long time messing with foam thicknesses, grill , sans grill, adding the original discs of foam and or the original material glued to the grill…

My preferred arrangement is…one of the original small foam circles with a full sized disc of 3mm foam over it.

It seems to keep the mids and especially the low highs in check without diminishing detail and imagining…I found without anything except the grills they became a bit too forward and muddy for my liking :grimacing:

The Bass with this arrangement now has slam without being bloated/slow like it did with just the 5mm foam but quicker and slightly more extended.

Hope you all enjoy your Phantoms as much as I do, and don’t be afraid to tweak them as they’re easy to mod and respond well…But as a cheapish planar can they’re banging as is :metal:

and with the 3mm over the top…

5 Likes

Link or info on 3mm foam?
Sounds like a start for me on these .
Thanks for sharing

1 Like

Sorry but the link is UK…

2 Likes

When you get them try this hopefully with a better source than the tube…

Reckon you’ll :smiley: :+1:

1 Like