New Dumb Arse newbie trying to get started

Is the Sundara subject to similar QC issues that happened for the 35X and 4XX? Generally curious.

Not a bad recommendation but I want to bring to attention that the Sundara is not the best choice for competitive gamers. The reason being is just how much sound they leak which is something I mention in my write up. These leak probably the most sound I have seen in a headphone and may not be the most ideal unless you are using something like an external microphone or alter your sensitivity settings by quite a alot. Still, it’s a fantastic headphone for planars on a budget.

I swore off hifiman due to his and two sundaras I had broke fairly back to back.which is the other potential issue with this recommendation.

1 Like

If you’re actually gaming, you should be using an external mic imo. No need for boom mics except in less expensive gear and consoles.

Sundara is absolutely fantastic for gaming. Sound leakage should not be an issue. Honestly headphones with stage (aka open) are the best for comp gaming (especially fps). If you have your volume high enough for shit to be picked up on a desk mic (or even a modmic) you have other problems to worry about.

1 Like

and I had 3 schiit products break on me. The fourth has major QC issues. I’ll still recommend them all day long, just with caveats.

Not everyone wants to fuss with an external boom mic though which Is why I see this is as a potential issue this type of setup is typically more expensive too if you need a boom mic setup alongside the boom arm, pop filter, etc. Even more so if your facing off against V-moda Boom pro at the $30 margin. which sounds great for gaming but you also have modmic wireless which is nice too just expensive.

This is competely accurate and I do think sundara is a fantastic choice in competitive gaming but I will always tell someone if there is a downside or potential issue of choosing the product. Such as they aren’t very bassy or they leak an absolute shit ton of sound and may cause issues if you planned to use a modmic without quite a bit of adjustment to the sensitivities.

The difference is to my knowledge schiit isn’t just straight up known for having practically their brandline break within a week or arrive completely defective consistently nonstop. While yes they have a warranty it doesn’t excuse their piss poor quality control and is something to mention when it comes to hifiman because it’s an extremely glaring problem. The headphone itself is nothing short of incredible for sure but it means nothing if it outright breaks on you within a months time or right after your warranty is up.

$50 for my desktop mic. I don’t ever fuss with it. Haven’t touched it in weeks. I have a filter, but decidedly don’t need one. Higher quality, easier to replace, easier to maintain, can record music on in a pinch, lets me eat and drink while still having a conversation without fearing getting the mic dirty, and gives me more flexibility with my headphones…what’s not to love?

Tbh. I detest headphone mounted mics now. Such a pain in the ass in comparison to a real simple desktop or clip on mic.

ummmm. No. They have a real bad streak of defective products tbh. They just have slightly easier to acces customer service than hifiman.

Tbh, the amount of times I read about defective products are about 50/50 between the two companies.

Also, the hifimans are delicate man. It’s very easy to leave them in a humid place, spill a tiny bit of water on something, or put them down too hard. They aren’t Beyer tanks.

But anyways, I’m not arguing about this anymore. Sundaras are a good rec. Get them with a warranty, get a desktop mic, and call it a day. I understand you have a personal vendetta against hifiman, but you gotta cool it. Enough people on this forum got functioning sets that they still own that making a big deal out of the (as far as I’ve heard and read) mostly fixed hifiman qc is overboard. A sentence of warning would have done.

1 Like

Depends, as you are using the blue snowball there which mind you is a great mic at a great price but the primary issue is that it’s a condensor mic and these are definitely known to pick up a shit ton of background noises if you have a noisier environment. Seeing how condensors were designed for those in a more soundproofed room and Dynamics were designed more for live concerts and cancel out more noise than a condensor microphone. That isn’t to say its a bad option if you live in a quiet place, potentially on your own, I don’t see anything wrong with condensors but they can pick up keyboard sounds, headphone leakage if placed badly, among other things which can get fairly obnoxious. That also isn’t to say you really need a boom arm either as you can just use the stand that tends to come with the mic. It’s not a bad option and a fairly good enough alternative but I find condensors very hard to recommend despite that price tag due to just how much sound they are liable to grab and is one of the reasons I tend to say the Samson Q2U before I go bringing up any of the multitude of condensors that are good such as blue snowball, blue yeti, hyperx quadcast, etc.

I don’t really mind them but I will agree they are a pain or an annoyance for when I want to chill and I don’t particularly like a mic always in my face or an added wire either, I still find it as a good option more so if you are a couch gamer as not all gamers play from a desk so to speak.

Actually haven’t heard this and is unfortunate though I haven’t had any issues with schiit.

Agreed, it’s not that I am completely saying, “no gods don’t buy a sundara” but I do find it completely plausible to notify someone who may potentially purchase this headphone of the quality control issues of the company. If schiit has that same issue I would notify the person on that as well but they seem to have some fantastic customer service as well honestly.

I am not heated at all nor am I arguing with you. I see nothing wrong with bringing a potential issue to light in terms of a recommendation. It’s a known issue

1 Like

Push to talk. If you use voice activation in a noisy environment, in all honesty, you’re just being a dick no matter which type of microphone you use. Having been an active ‘gamer’ for as long as I can remember, using voice activation is frowned upon and push to talk is common courtesy and basic decency when playing with others. Picking up a few keyboard strokes or mouse clicks while talking isn’t the end of the world either, as long as it isn’t voice activated.

If you’re recording videos? That’s a whole other conversation. But that’s not what we’re talking about.

If you’re living in a dorm room with 3 other people who constantly party or play music (or right next to the airport / on the train tracks / next to someone who plays drums with a thin af wall) then I’d say your dynamic mic rec. Otherwise, condenser works just as well (coming from someone who lives with 8 people (self included) and 4 dogs who are noisy af, and never once got a complaint while using the mic).

As I said above already…unless you’re on console…

Um. I hear this on about the same basis as I hear Hifiman failures. Hifiman just happen to be chinese and have problems with very specific products in the past. Schiit has consistent qc issues across the board from what I’ve read. Doesn’t mean I’ll even bring it up when people are buying, cause it’s such a minor percentage that they’ll likely be fine. If not and you bought new, there’s always the warranty.

That’s distinctly what it came off as.

Agreed, it’s perfectly feasible to use push to talk which makes condensors more feasible though I wouldn’t consider someone not using a PTT a dick so to speak thats a bit harsh. I know plenty who have good quality mics without picking up any background noise and don’t use a PTT nor have I ever heard it’s frowned upon to not use such a service. Though I would find PTT much more needed for condensor mics than I would the regular attached boom mic or dynamic mic and hearing someones keyboard clacking or something like them eating food is rather annoying while I am trying to play.

Agreed, it’s not that it’s not manageable and with that much noise I find it hard to even recommend a dynamic mic without a PTT much less an attached boom mic. Nothing gonna save you from that much sound in the background outside of sensitivity settings and PTT

If you skimmed it or jumped to that conclusion I do apologize as it wasn’t meant to be taken that way. I personally hate the qc issues but completely love the Sundara as a headphone even for gaming, I have it on my write up even due to how good it sounds.

That’s unfortunate, something I wasn’t aware of.

1 Like

Comparing the 4XX vs Sundara. Sundara feels more premium and seems to be built better. I guess I’m lucky that I have not had any issues with both of my Hifiman’s.

1 Like

Evidently you play in much wealthier and more cultured communities than I do.

Turns out if you use push to talk all of those problems go away.

And yes. People who don’t use push to talk either are way interested in their audio setup, have non mechanical (or very silent) keyboards, live in super silent environments (very rare), and/or have a lot of money to spare.

Honestly I’ve had many more problems with people with good dynamic mics not having push to talk on than people with condenser mics. One makes you think you can not be disciplined about not disturbing the people you play with (though it’s a lie lol) and one forces you to be.

I find that every single person with voice activation fucks up repeatedly and are consistently more annoying than people with push to talk. Just common sense and common courtesy in 95% of situations.

If you don’t think that push to talk is a requirement I can’t really help you. People get kicked out of channels, games, teams, and even communities for refusing to use push to talk and being a nuisance with background noise (regardless of mic type). Voice activated always fucks up even if they don’t think they do.

You ever been on a work meeting with people who don’t mute their mic? Could you hear their kids screaming in the background, the neighbor singing poorly, the subway they’re in? Remember how annoyed you felt? That’s how I feel about people who use voice activated mics.

Did not skim. Read with full attention and a hefty dose of thinking critically about what that would sound like to someone without the full context (a la OP).

Perhaps I could have worded it better then.

I feel as though we are sidetracking the thread here a bit and should end this here. We are obviously in a partial difference of opinion. I still think sundaras a great option for gaming especially in competitive as the sound signature is very ideal for such a use though the leaking sound and quality control issues are of a concern and if you are a bass lover this definitely may not be the right headphone

1 Like

Yes it will power 600 ohm headphones and has one of the better mic input jacks it’s just fairly expensive and I would think you’d be just fine with the cheaper X3, G5, G6, or E5 less you are wanting the x7 for its more speaker amp properties

Looks like I could use real desktop speakers with that unit, and it is a little future proof? Looked at the HD 800, and ouch on the price, the tygr look good but can not find anywhere to buy them, also was asking how does your site profit, links, codes, wanted you to get something for the time

So, it would really depend honestly. That is a more gaming-esque speaker amp/dac and not a bad one either. If you are okay with giving up the extra options such as mic input, dolby, sbx, bluetooth, etc then you could go with alternatives, for example emotiva basx-a-100, and it will depend on how much that stuff is worth to you.

Yeah, one of my bigger complaints on this headphone I don’t quite understand what beyer was trying to accomplish here. So, you can only buy the headphone by itself directly from beyerdynamic you have to go to their website and order it which is so unfortunate. The other way to obtain it is to buy the bundle that comes with the fox microphone while this isn’t a bad mic per say there;s just potentially better options for microphones. Tygr though is phenomenal especially at its price.

Last I checked this site is non profit. We voluntarily help you. However, that would be a question for @WaveTheory @M0N @Ohmboy whom I will tag to potentially answer that for you since they are moderators.

1 Like

So this site will add hifiguides affiliate links to amazon links, and that’s about it to my knowledge. The money goes to Z and I don’t know where it goes from there

1 Like

Right. I’m not getting paid. I’m here because I love music, movies, TV, and reproducing those things well, and helping others do the same.

2 Likes

Hopefully it helps with server cost.

Well could I talk someone into helping me find this stuff on amazon? I wanted the Hel, but can’t find it, I wanted the HD 800 but 1500 is just outside of what I would be willing to spend, 1500 for everything I could choke down, but still really don’t know what to look for, was hoping to order it tonight so I could play with it this weekend.

My recommendations would remain the same as in my write up and what I listed up there. Though granted not everything is available on amazon. You can find the tygrs on amazon as well https://www.amazon.com/beyerdynamic-Streaming-Including-Open-Back-USB-Microphone/dp/B07KTG74S7/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=tygr+300r+beyerdynamic&qid=1594266659&sr=8-1

Though due to your larger ears I would definitely say perhaps either a pad swap to XL pads from brainwavz or point you towards aeons or maybe the ananda/Editionxx(these are higher priced than the sundara but in my opinion are an upgrade of which I just noticed I forgot to write in my guide lol going to fix that one).