New Focal Elex or used Focal Clears

So, I was pretty set on the Elexs being my next headphone, but once the price of a headphone goes past $500, I feel it’s time to consider the used market. (I know the Elexs are $600 now on drop). So I went on the lookout for used Elexs but I found they’re pretty scarce on the used market. What I did find was a couple of Clears that came to about $800. At that price difference I feel I should just go for the used Clear.

What are your thoughts on this? Buy the Elex new at 600 or Clears used for 800? I mean, ideally I would get an Elex used for 400 - 450 so I’m still on the lookout for that. But would you get a used Clear instead if the price difference was just $200?

Get M50X :slight_smile:

In all seriousness tho I say go for the used Clear since they have a touch more subbass extension and don’t have the clipping issue of the Elex

I personally would get the clears tbh, as I’m the future if you get a higher end amp they will scale much better imo

1 Like

Well the Elex has a W signature. The Clears are more Nuetral. I havent listened to the Clears. do they have more resolution? more detail?

Yeah they have better technicalities overall, but on something like a thx they may sound similar to the elex but will still be a bit more neutral, they will improve a fair bit on a higher end amp though, the elex isn’t as picky in this regard

1 Like

Like what amp would you recommend for the Clears? RNHP?

I really like the rnhp with the clears alot, there are other amps that will do it justice as well

I ask because I see reviews saying that the Elex are like 95% of the Clears and found that hard to justify. But would you say their experience with the Clears aren’t as accurate because of the amp choice?

Other than the rnhp, what other amps do them well?

So the clears are pretty similar sounding to the elex if you run them off of a thx or something. What budget are you thinking for a higher end amp? You can always use what you have and get the clear now, and then improve it with a better amp down the line

Also @giova05 can also vouch for the clears getting better on something like an rnhp lol

Yeah, so I’m not in a hurry to get my next headphones so soon since I just impulse bought that dt880 (which I’m really enjoying the width & laid back-ness + actual comfort btw), so I’m really just playing the waiting game until a really good deal shows up.

Yup, exactly what I’m planning to do, when I get the clears that is. I’m just asking about prospective amps that go well with the Clears in case a good deal for those show up as well. Lol

I mean, I had never considered the clears before, but was planning to get the Elex, but looking at the market & also, Tyl’s love for the Clears was really the factor that got me to actually consider getting them.

2 Likes

I really like the clears as well, just awesome lol

There are different amps you can get for the clear, some brighter, some more neutral, or some that are warmer so that can be preference. And price is a factor as well lol

I’m also planning to go hear a pair & compare them to some other cans tomorrow (if I have the time). Lol

1 Like

What would you say your prefered amp is? Would you say the amps mostly affect the Clear’s frequency range more than the other aspects like dynamics, soundstage and so forth? Let’s say something within the $1,000 range for budget?

Speaking of which, how’s that new ladder DAC treating you btw?

It will mainly make them a bit more neutral, increase detail, dynamic range, spatial recreation capabilities, and also make them more enjoyable overall imo lol.

Would you be opposed buying used? And also would it be just an amp or an all in one with a dac?

I swear it’s stupid good and I can’t go back now lol. It’s never leaving my house (it’s not like I would want to carry it anywhere anyway lol)

3 Likes

Nah, for electronics like dac / amps I’m perfectly OK with getting used.

Probably not standalone, still prefer a more versatile setup.

And I thought after getting my Sendy’s that my next major purchase would be a decent ladder dac. But the Clears do seem very attractive. Lol

If you want something neutral slightly analytical, the spl phonitor e, a Violectric, or perhaps something like the gsx mini

If you want something warmer, the liquid platinum hybrid is great, the ican pro is pretty great, the soloist mk2 is fun to mess around with, but there are a ton of options

1 Like

Great, I’ll put those on my list to consider when the time comes.

Where would the RNHP fit in with these amps though? I expect more analytical?

I think the rnhp would fit in the middle. It’s not analytical but it’s also not warmer, it just sounds pretty natural in signature and presentation, that’s what I find so impressive about it

Ah cool, and it’s pretty affordable compared to the other amps mentioned. Probably leaning towards that.