New headphones for games and music

Hello!

I’m looking for headphones mainly for playing games and listening to music.
Currently, I have the razer kraken 7.1 v2 and I wanted to know if I could improve my listening experience. I don’t really know how good or bad they are though since I never used anything better, so this could technically be my first step into ‘hifi audio’ :smile: .
So what would be a good upgrade over these headphones, something good for both games and music?
I do not have an amp or dac but I can get one if needed though I am in the UK so getting some of them will probably be a bit harder. You can check on amazon.co.uk .

My budget is around 300£
Looking forward to hearing your recommendations, thanks!

2 Likes

Well, what are you listening to music wise, what games are you playing, and also do you have an idea of what you are looking for in a headphone?

Edit: also are you looking to go open and closed?

1 Like

Music is mostly punk and rock right now
For games I mostly play fps games such as csgo and hunt showdown but I do like a good story game like the witcher, being able to hear all the surroundings is a must in both fps and open world games.
I don’t really mind if its open or closed but I heard open is better for imaging.
I’m looking for something that sounds good and lets me hear footsteps better.

1 Like

Gotcha, would you mind a bit brighter neutral signature? I wold be thinking like some dt880 600 ohm with a liquid spark amp and a topping d10 dac. This combo is great for most games with very good imaging and soundstage, with a brighter neutral signature that is very good for spotting sounds in games. The headphones are also very comfy and durable as well from my experience.

2 Likes

I don’t mind it, I looked all of those up and I couldn’t find the liquid spark amp, do you have any other suggestions?

1 Like

Are you in the US or outside of NA?

1 Like

I’m outside of NA, I’m in the UK.

1 Like

Sorry, I recall reading that above but didn’t think about it lol. The Schiit magni 3+ should be an option over there I think

1 Like

The schiit magni 3+ is out of stock or unavailable but fortunately I found the liquid spark on ebay, thanks for your advice!
I’ll check what others recommend before pulling the trigger on it though.

1 Like

Nice, if you can’t pull through on the spark the magni heresy is also a great pick (but has the potential to be a bit too bright with the 880 600)

1 Like

my bro might also need help with this

he’s big into pop punk and alternative rock but also he wants to make sure his games sound good (he is big into RPGs and strategy games)… i said i would do his sound setup for his TV and his headphones

Was wondering if any of you know how does the behringer um2 compare to the topping d10 when used as a dac? Thought it would be nice to use that instead for a microphone input, was wondering what you guys thought.

I actually rec that combo to those who want a solid mic input. It’s not as high quality of a dac as the d10, but that being said it’s still somewhat clean and will give you a good mic input and ability to use xlr mics as well. If you wanted something a bit higher quality, you could go with the focusrite scarlett solo, as that would also work and have a better mic in and dac out

1 Like