New headset/headphone advice wanted for gaming and entertainment

Sorry for the vague title but I will go into more detail.

For starters, I have used the Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro 250ohm headphones with a mod mic 5.0 attached. (Closed back so lacking sound stage but good for everything else)
EPOS H3 Hyrbid pro (sound great but lack sound stage)
Razer Blackshark V2 Pro wireless (Sounds decent but lack sound stage)
Corsair HS80 wireless (Sound decent w/ good mic and has ok sound stage but wanting better positional audio)

I tend to lean more toward a V shaped EQ setup. I like bass but not overwhelming bass but just a bit of punch for effect/immersiveness.
I like mids that aren’t weak/flat/tinny/hollow. Not entirely sure what verbage to use when describing this.
I like high’s that are detailed and there but not too sharp to the point of being ear piercing. If that makes sense.

I listen to electronic music, rock, metal, heavy metal, and death metal.
I do use my PC as my main source of entertainment for shows and movies as well as gaming but I do more gaming than anything on my PC. I don’t care about console compatibility as I don’t own one.

I play various games like WoW, Counterstrike Source and GO, BF4 and 2042, Horizon Zero Dawn, Half Life, Skyrim, and various other world building and FPS games.

I’m kind of stuck on what to buy. I’d like to stick to $300 USD and below if possible.
I would prefer a wireless headset but willing to look into something wired as I do have the DT770’s with the mod mic. Wireless is just more of a convenience thing.

I don’t have an amp, nor do I really want to buy one. My motherboard has a ESS Sabre 24bit DAC built into it and easily drives my DT770 250 ohm headphones. I am not an audiophile by any means. I do know the difference between garbage sound quality and good sound quality and that’s about it.

I have never tried open back headphones but I am curious about them because of the sound stage and supposedly better audio positioning for gaming.

To me, the HS80 headset has the better sound stage compared to the others listed above. I want to try a headset that has better accuracy with identifying audio source locations and distances in-game.

Sorry if this was a bit unorganized. I’ve been doing a lot of research on this topic and found this forum and ended up creating a new account as I’m at a loss of what to buy.

I do appreciate any and all input.

Ok so lets break it down a bit and explain every part (other folks can jump in and maybe correct me)

First off lets start with the physical, wired or wireless - Go wired
While you could try gaming headset that use WIFI most of them sound pretty bad, going for higher end headphones is tricky - you would require some set up that would take a sizable bit of your budget.

Wireless audio in most cases is Bluetooth, which has both bit rate limitations and more noticeable is the latency. There certain type of Bluetooth address both of these issues like aptx hd / aptx low latency that would help out a lot, but that would require an external box like a FIIO BTA30 / BTA30 Pro (90$ +), reason being is that i dont know of any motherboard that uses those codecs probably because its a Qualcomm patent. Personally i think spending a third of your budget just for wireless is a waste.

Second, lets talk options ill make a three headphone suggestions but there are combos you can get that stay in the 300$ which also include a DAC/AMP which are also pretty dope.

1. Beyerdynamic TYGR 300R - one of the best all around “gaming” headphone out there, good imagining, good sound stage, good details and overall a solid headphone. if you like the 770 you most likely will like the TYGR. Now you can buy the headphones solo (160$ last i checked) or if you really want an upgrade you can buy the kit which includes a USB mic, which a solid deal

2. Harmonicdyne Zeus - very enjoyable headphone with a “smooth” sound - good bass and impact, excelent sound stage , BUT it i wouldn’t recommend it over the TYGR if you play a lot FPS games, the TYGR is better for those kind of games (they are great for "awareness” ), but overall its a more fun and more immersive sound experience a great example Horizon Zero Dawn or even God of War, single player games that focus on the experience. Now at stock they are outside your budget (350$) but you can find them use at 200$ easily

3. Focal Elegia - im very on the fence on recommending this one but tis a great headphone, a lot of energy, very clear and is very good i really like listening to rock with them. BUT there are two major problems with them its above your budget (ive seen them on Adorama for 350ish, close but still over) and they have a praticular sound that some folk dont mesh with

All 3 of them dont need an amp and you can hookup to you PC, but if you do get one they will benefit from it.

The majority of wireless gaming headsets don’t use Bluetooth. They use a 2.4Ghz dongle and have much lower latency than Bluetooth, at around 30ms or lower. I work in IT and I worked on Sat comms when I was in the Navy. Frequencies, RF modulation and my general understanding and knowledge in that space is greater than most people. The majority of wireless 2.4Ghz gaming headsets, above $150, don’t have latency issues.

The TYGR 300R did catch my attention. I would prefer a setup with an attached mic though but I am not entirely put off by the concept of having headphones with either a mod mic attached or desktop mic. I would prefer a desktop mic that can sit at arms length on the desk and still be good for communication. I had the Blue Snowball and it was garbage and picked up waaaaaay too much background noise even while using push-to-talk.

Ya i know about the gaming headets but like i said initially they sound pretty bad IMO, which is why i skipped right to Bluetooth, but to be fair i havent head the lastest and greatest…

That’s part of my problem because my ears have a hard time hearing the difference between the Blackshark V2 Pro’s, HS80, and EPOS H3hybrid Pro. I hear a little more clarity out of my DT770 Pro’s though. I just want something that has that bass and clarity but with better sound stage/positional audio.

Considering the TYGR 300R or the EPOS H6 Pro. Having a good sounding, attached mic is preferable and the reviews for the H6 Pro open back variants are really good. Bad Seed Tech, Applicable Tech, Gadgetry Tech, Techne, and others have mentioned how good the sound quality is. I hate how indecisive I am lol.

1 Like

Hhhhmmmm something that ticks all the boxes or close to for $300. This is an off the wall suggestion and it gives you another option for having a great staging experience but take a look at the hifiman Deva.

i have both tygr 300r and eops h6 pro open, the h6 pro open is way better no contest in my opinion

1 Like