New Interest in High-End Audio for Gaming

So like the title says, I recently became interested in Hi-Fi/Audiophile quality audio equipment after looking for a new headset and coming across the Audeze Penrose and going down a wormhole of open vs closed, DAC/Amps, etc…

With that all being said what I want is to create a setup that can be used with both consoles and a pc when I finally build one. I have no issues with buying a Mod Mic or other mic to be able to communicate still. I’m open to “gaming” headsets but am primarily interested in finding a closed back headphone that has a large enough soundstage to feel immersive, while still being useful for shooters and hearing footsteps.
Also want the headphones to sound great with music as well, I listen to literally everything but lean more towards Heavy Metal, Rock and EDM.

I don’t really have a budget but I want this setup to be the most “bang for your buck”.

Thank you for anyone who decides to help. I know I’m asking for quite a lot but as of right now I’m limited to having the one setup that best does everything I want for now.

First of all, welcome to the forum! I don’t know if you’ve found this thread yet but it’s definitely a good read to get you started:

https://forum.hifiguides.com/t/update-in-progress-falenkors-competitive-headphone-write-up-now-with-added-hardware-explanations

I’m sure Falenkor, as well as some of the others, will pop in and give you a hand if that thread doesn’t get you where you wanted to be, or if you have any other questions that might not be answered there.

lol looks like I got dinged alright then, hey there maybe I can help you out.

Well theres plenty of headphones that can make things feel immersive but a sense of immersion is based on a persons perspective and own opinion… what would you say you consider to be immersive in terms of sound? Just the soundstage width?

Is there a purpose behind it being exclusively closed back? Some prefer the isolation factor or they plan lan parties… but in most cases competitive performance and soundstage is going to be more ideal on an open back. In the case of competitive gaming a lot of closed backs have too much bass to be of ideal use.

hmm, I would say the atom setup for the time being then if your involving the new gen consoles… Schiit Hel 2 would be the alternative amp/dac or a soundblaster g6 but this has less sound quality… depends on what your looking to power really. The atom to my knowledge is currently one of the only dedicated units that can be used on the new gen consoles due to the UAC usb issue going on right now, at least until more companies adapt to this, at the same time the Atom will have the better sound qualities than hel 2 and g6 though you lose the mic input if you deem this of importance.

As for headphones, if your looking for something that does well with soundstage, imaging, and in your music category? That would more than likely be the DT 770 though admittedly it as mentioned above has a bit too much in the bass which clouds it up a little bit… in terms of performance it has a remarkably large soundstage, very good imaging, very good build quality, very good comfort, though its weak spot is in the mid frequencies as its more of a V signatured headphone. Step up from the 770 is the 177x GO which performs well if you want a more portable option. The Focal Elegia could also be used but many headphone recommendations will depend explicitly on what fps… elegia being more narrow soundstaged wont do well in larger fps like the beyer will.

For right now I want a closed back because of its isolation factor, I don’t want the noise of others to interfere and vice versa.
As for what I’m looking to power, ideally I want a dac/amp setup that can power anything so that when I start getting more headphones I’m not worried about whether or not I have the equipment to realize their potential.
Also I’d prefer a mic input, I figured if the dac/amp have an optical port I could just use that between my tv. That’s how I’m still able to use my current headset by plugging it’s receiver to the tv and powering it from the PS5. So I still have chat function, and then I have to use an adapter for the Xbox controller anyways.

From the videos I’ve been watching and what I’ve been able to find I’m mostly interested in the DT 770, the Sennheiser 820 and the Celestee which I’ve understood as a good middle ground between the Elegia and Stellia

https://forum.hifiguides.com/t/update-in-progress-falenkors-competitive-headphone-write-up-now-with-added-hardware-explanations

I’m definitely gonna go through that^ and see what more information I can gather then when I have a setup in mind I could ask any questions I may have.

power -anything- is nice and all however, you need to realize that not all amps and dacs agree with some headphones… power isn’t everything… amps and dacs change the sound signature to varying degrees. Headphones such as the Focals for example are quite picky in what their source is.

The mic input will create extreme limitations in your setup, there is nothing in creation that will be of that power and sound quality that has a mic input on it. You’d be better off getting a dedicated microphone or a wireless modmic at that point. The focals and upper headphones will be powered by such units but won’t have the sound quality traits… volume doesn’t mean its properly driven either

Jumping into $1k+ headphones for competitive gaming is pointless, the gains are marginal. Anybody who claims otherwise is either shilling or a true fool no offense to them. You do gain placements and soundstage but the problem is with the games themselves. No game in existence can make use of the full soundstage of the HD800 outside of Tarkov and even then the HD800S can have some issues in the narrower fps as its actually too large and some here have complained about that particular problem…

Focal are acceptable but personally, if its primarily for gaming your fine with the Elegia with little reasoning to really go to the Celestee. 770, 177x go, 1770, and Elegia all perform well enough all of which are cheaper than Celestee and aren’t as amp particular

if you have questions feel free to ask, the guides outdated and I get messaged regularly.