New LSA headphones priced to compete w/Kennerton?

I just got the LSA HP-2 Ultra and I’ve had a chance now to get acquainted with it. My initial reaction was WOW! - they have many of the qualities Murdock raved about in his video review. Very excellent overall clarity especially in the midrange and treble, not slightly rolled off and with transients blunted like with the Verite Closed. Even faster than the HD800S, and the HP-2 mercifully lacks the telltale plasticy coloration of the HD800S that annoyingly pervades its sound especially when making direct comparison with headphones lacking it

The overall comparison is complicated however, with a lot of tradeoffs.

The HP-2 is not up to the fantastic level of clarity, resolution and holographic imaging of the HE1000se, but at least it is in the neighborhood.

But the differences are more subtle than that - the HP-2 has the great virtue of lacking the persistent annoying overemphasized HF graininess and “edge” that the HiFiMan has along with its fantastic resolution. The HP-2 sounds much more natural in instrumental timbres especially in the mid and upper treble. Just much more “real” sounding, especially with instruments like the violin and guitar. Vocals are amazing. And this is compared with a headphone more than 4 times the price.

The major deficit with the HP-2 is the soundstage and overall holographic imaging capability. It is very noticeably reduced in soundstage width and depth with respect to the HE1000se; that aspect of trying to achieve the “you are there” or “they are here” illusion is lessened with the HP-2. But this is I think somewhat more than compensated for by the HP-2’s much superior instrumental timbres especially with its grain-free very high resolution treble range.

And dynamics and bass quality are also superb.

I think that at this point I will be inclined to listen more with the HP-2 rather than with my HEKse, Verite Closed or HD800S, which are of course way over the HP-2’s price class.

I need to explain that the conclusions of all these comparisons were mostly after I had “tweaked” the HP-2 significantly by damping a very annoying microphonics problem with its spring steel headband. It rings a lot (a sort of “bong” sound) with any contact, but more importantly, I discovered that it very significantly degrades the HP-2’s sound during playback because the microphonic metallic ringing is excited in a not too subtle way by the sound vibrations being emitted by the drivers themselves. The overall effect of the headband ringing is to subtly cloud over the sound with a low-level metallic grunge of some sort. The headphones sound really excellent even with this problem, but I found that the sound got much better just by reaching up and holding the headband with my hand, thereby damping out the vibrations.

To try to fix this, I experimented with a couple of kinds of flexible adhesive-backed damping sheets I had on hand, and found one that very significantly improves the HP-2’s sound. It’s a thin Isodamp product sold by Michael Percy. I cut these in the form of narrow strips and stuck them down on the black steel headbands (there are two, side by side). They can be easily removed if necessary.

The other tweak was finding the right headphone cable. The stock cable packed with the HP-2 was good but not great and significantly limited the HP-2’s performance. The HP-2 uses the same 3.5mm headphone plug used by HiFiMan so I already had two alternate candidates to try - an OCC copper Litz design and a Corpse Cable Gravedigger Cardas copper Litz cable. The Gravedigger turned out to be superb with the HP-2 and that’s what I’m using presently.

Comfort is OK not super great, but certainly good enough for me to enjoy the headphones.

Anyway, this is my progress report so far. I definitely don’t regret getting the HP-2.

6 Likes

That was a joy to read. Looking forward to your further adventures.

Make sure you bend the sides of the steel head band to get a good seal. Bend 2 inches up from the left and right indicators with force a couple times. You want it so when you lay it on the table the pads are touching each other or almost touching each other. The headphone sounds better than the stock clamp . You can always bend it back the other way if you don’t like the increase in bass impact and mid-range intimacy.

1 Like

I don’t know. This looked like a good suggestion, but I just reached up and manually pressed in on the headphones to increase their clamping force, and there wasn’t much effect.

Another easy upgrade for these is to put some ZMF Ori leather pads on them.

1 Like

What is the sonic effect of the ZMF Ori leather pads on the HP-2?

Not too much of a difference, but makes them more comfortable and you don’t have to bend anything.

1 Like

I think you are on to something here. I tried some dekoni choice leather on them and didn’t like the sound much and just kind of stuck with stock. I am one of those weirdos that just happened to have sheepskin Ori pads sitting around unused. Popped them on. Much better seal and slight plus to comfort for me.

2 Likes

Hi there, thanks for the extensive infos.

Just two issue about the HP-2:

1. Can you show where you put the stripes on the arches as to reduce microphonics?

2. Any comparison between the HP-2 and the original Gjallarhorn GH 50?

Cheers

After some experimentation I found that the best result was one strip on the underside of one of the steel arch bands covering about half the band, and another strip on the underside of the other band covering the other side of the band from the first mentioned. The strips extend to approximately the center point of each band.

I haven’t made the comparison you asked about.

1 Like

Thanks, will try if/when I’ll got mine :slight_smile:

btw, how about ear “room” within the pads? Is that comfortably enough?

Tnx

do they fit perfectly? What is the diameter of the pads? tnx

Comfort level of the LSA HP-2 is adequate, though nothing like the experience of wearing the HE1000se for instance, which is supremely comfortable, and the HD800S, which is very comfortable. My personal take on that issue is that I don’t care too much about comfort as long as it is not really bad. I focus mainly on sonics.

Diameter of ori pads? Can be found on ZMF website.

They are large but they stay in place and don’t slide all over the place. I’m not a photographer but here’s a quick pic.

1 Like

I meant rather the diameter of original HP-2, but I guess it is then a little less than the Ori pads :slight_smile: thanks

In case anyone is looking for a decent deal on a used pair of hp-1

Not my listing just found it

I just bought the HP-2 Ultra and from the reviews I looked at this seems right up my alley in terms of SQ.

5 Likes

Well it’s been about 5 days now since I got them and I absolutely love how they sound. I think they might be the best dynamic driver headphone I’ve heard and are definitely one of the most detailed headphones I’ve listened to.

I have some pretty decent headphones like the Arya, Z1R, AP2000ti, Elear, among others and the HP-2 is the most detailed out of all of them and the tonality is also very good. Vocals especially female sound amazing with detail and clarity above everything else I have. When it comes to pure detail I put them right there with the HD800 and T1 Gen 2 but it does it in a little smoother way but that’s not to say it’s a warm headphone because it’s not, I’d say it’s a very natural headphone in tone.

Anyways, I only have around 20 hours on them and they’re said to sound their best after 100 so I have a ways to go but I’m looking forward to hearing how they sound after that because I already think they sound wonderful.

5 Likes

Thanks for the feedback! I think they seem to be at a very nice value for a closed back with a high level threshold of capabilities. I’d really like to demo them or the HP-1s at some point to compare their technical abilities. I hope they do a tour at some point.

If I was still into planar headphones I would totally get the HP-1 but the Arya is all I need on that front but to me, the HP-2 is a better sounding headphone technically with better dynamics and more micro detail.

1 Like