New LSA headphones priced to compete w/Kennerton?

Initial reviews are out for an internet direct HP made by Kennerton for LSA/Underwood. Surprisingly enough they brought 2 HP’s to market as facsimiles of Kennerton made products slightly modified and at price points supposedly to give you similar sound at lower cost.

The choices of the gorgeous Kennerton woods available are NOT options, which i assume plays a major role in the price difference, supposedly they have also made their own technical modifications/updates to the drivers to keep in line with cost and sound signatures achieved.

If these really can compete at this price point to quality Build, and SQ to their Kennerton brethren they will be good competition for someone looking for this sound signature that is willing to give up the option of the beautiful wood Choices offered up by Kennerton direct.

https://www.underwoodhifi.com/products/lsa-headphones

3 Likes

That seems like a pretty nice savings if they didn’t mess with the sound too much. I don’t watch a ton of his videos, but I know William Murdock was the first person I’d seen reviewing Kennerton headphones and he seemed to like them quite a bit. I never really saw a review of the Odins, but the Thror, Magni, and Vali seem to have their fans. I just haven’t seen enough reviews to take the plunge on any of them, and no way to demo them that I can see makes a purchase unlikely for me.

1 Like

Interesting. I’m not sure if it ships from Hawaii or direct from Russia. I like that they were able to shave 150 grams off compared to the Odin.

1 Like

So I’ve had the LSA HP2 in house for three weeks or so. TLDR skip to fourth paragraph. I’ve been on the hunt for a closed back that is a step up from everything I have on hand. The wife constantly working from home in a one bedroom apartment makes open headphones impossible to enjoy. My previous daily driver open headphones were HE500 and HD580 was using the DT 770 for my closed back needs. My driver is the Burson 3XP.

First bought the Elegia from the Adorama sale. It went back within a week. Disappointment. I could not get them to seal. I do wear plastic frame glasses but even without the glasses the sound was the same. Zero bass and metallic. I could tell it had good detail and dynamics though. Tried dekoni sheepskin pads to see if the seal would improve and it was a no go. The bass and treble were elevated but the same sound signature remained. Really fiddly. Returned.

Bought the Aeon 2 closed next. Love them. The build and comfort on a level beyond. The sound was great with a nice mid bass bump. Did not have the dynamics of the Elegia but are better on all other accounts. Fantastic isolation. Great seal the pads formed around my glasses frames. Still own them will probably keep as my closed back planar.

Bought the LSA HP2 on a whim. If you like detail and dynamics with a natural sound this is it. The dynamics of this horn loaded headphone are on another level. They put the Elegia to shame. The detail is above both the Elegia and A2C to my ears. The bass is also well extended and present. No metallic sheen but the wood adds a welcome reverb. Comfort does not compare to the Aeon 2 of course. I first put them on and frowned but they are fine. The do have the dreaded no swivel. The headband is micro-phonic so don’t bump it. Isolation is not quite as good as the Aeon 2. I’m close to believing these may be the best sounding headphones I have ever owned.

Feel free to AMA but if you are in the market for a $500 to 1k closed back I really do think these deserve a listen.

3 Likes

LSA claim the HP2 are the same as the Gjalarhorn, but they are vented differently and use a 40mm driver where the Gjalarhorn GH50 Kennerton claims a 50mm driver.

Either way I have a pair of Gjalarhorn, and my initial impression is they are a very interesting headphone, pretty much a dark tilted headphone that still manages to sound very open, very dynamic, sound really good with rock or other Bass heavy material. Certainly competitive at the price, possibly an alternative to some the the Fostex/Denon lineup.

Generally comfortable, very light, not a huge fan of the headband, the elastic suspension strap is fine, but the metal band rings if you touch it, wish the ear ups were a bit larger, they pretty much touch my ears all the way around, and while I don’t find that unpleasant, some might.

One other caveat, your amp better have a low noise floor.

2 Likes

anyone with experience with the LSA HP3-Nova, the Magni “twin”, about to pull that trigger just seeing if anyone has knowledge

LSA HP-2 review:

For those looking for that elusive good closed-back?

2 Likes

Not poking fun, but doesn’t this guy sort of look like Sid Haig?

3 Likes

Fuuuu I can’t unsee this lol

2 Likes

I’m telling you, it’s his doppelganger!

3 Likes

Hahaha omg stop

1 Like

If he starts saying tooty f’in fruity I swear

2 Likes

I follow him on Youtube. Seems like a nice enough fellow in terms of a reviewer

2 Likes

All jokes aside, I’ve followed him for awhile and binged a bunch of his reviews, solid and honest. Reviews a lot of high end gear

2 Likes

yes, same here and I agree.

What I like about this stuff is that he does impressions before the review sometimes weeks in advance
so the compare and contrast gives a stronger more rounded view of the product.

2 Likes

I agree, and to me he’s a straight shooter, not a lot of fluff, just the impression…

1 Like

I have these. They are very open sounding for a closed-back. It is not a close, intimate sound. If the Sennheiser HD 650 is getting warm sitting by a fireplace listening to Lo-Fi study music, this headphone is camping outside without a tent during a thunderstorm as Roman legions march your way.

LSA HP-2 excels at aggressive, energetic metal/electronic music and orchestral/movie soundtracks like Hans Zimmer or E.S Posthumus. It has extreme speed, detail and IMAX low end. No sibilance in the treble at all so this is very good for loud listening. You feel the rumble underneath your feet and could easily mistake your sub-woofer accidentally being turned on.

It can be easily run off a smartphone’s headphone jack and still be too loud at max volume. Very easy to drive. Sound isolation is very good, you could probably wear these mowing the lawn. You definitely can’t hear anyone talking to you even at medium volume. Very light and comfortable headphones. Almost close to Sennheiser HD 598 level but not exactly, but that is to be expected because of materials used. Soundstage is less than HD 598 in width but more than HD 600/650.

6 Likes

Interested in the HP-1 and 2’s hopefully some more reviews will get spread around out there.

I have the HP-2 Ultra and they are very good. They feel like a closed back Arya.

2 Likes