New to audio and looking for new headphones

Hello Hifi Guides, this is my first post here and I’m not the best writer, but I’m currently looking for a new pair of headphones that are good for both music and gaming because my Steelseries Arctis 7 headset broke. And while looking for a new pair of headphones, I have gone down into the world of audiophile and I am comepletely lost, so please help!

I’m looking for a pair of closed back headphones because my environment is very noisy. (a pair of headphones with a microphone or that are wireless would be a plus, but not needed) I mainly play open world games and want immersion in the games I play, and I basically listen to every music genre besides country and rock. My budget is 300 USD, and I don’t have a dac or amp, but I wouldn’t mind getting one for a pair of headphones.

I have only ever had the Arctis 7 headset and Beats Solo 2, so I don’t know what good sounding headphones, well, sound like. some headphones I’ve been thinking of getting are the Beyerdynamic DT770 pro, Audio Technica ath-m40x, Hyperx Cloud 2 (wired or wireless), Beyerdynamic Custom One Pro Plus, and the Beyerdynamic Custom Game, and I want to know whether they are good headphones or not. I am looking forward for your feedback!

1 Like

Welcome! This is a really good place for information with a lot of good people here. If you can stretch the budget just a bit a really good first combo is the Drop HD6xx. If not grab the HD58x off Drop as a replacement. I find this combo to be very good for what you are wanting. Grab a balanced cable from Hart Audio when you can.

https://www.amazon.com/iFi-Zen-DAC-Converter-Unbalanced/dp/B07YZK5MDS/ref=sxts_sxwds-bia-wc-drs1_0?cv_ct_cx=ifi+zen+dac&dchild=1&keywords=ifi+zen+dac&pd_rd_i=B07YZK5MDS&pd_rd_r=61d28fb5-c829-4ae9-b5e2-b12ac8c0a407&pd_rd_w=ABIII&pd_rd_wg=G4WWZ&pf_rd_p=c33e4373-edb9-47f9-a7e6-5d3d6a7a4ad0&pf_rd_r=BBT98TD9RSQHDGX187D6&psc=1&qid=1606190663&sr=1-1-5e875a02-02b1-4426-9916-8a5c26cd5a14

a bit more … https://drop.com/buy/drop-wireless-headphones but this seems to meet all your requirements.

I would get either of those if it weren’t for my noisy environment, and I’m looking for a pair of closed back headphones, but thank you for the recommendation anyway!

1 Like

Thank you for the recommendation, I will consider buying these, but how do these compare? https://drop.com/buy/psb-m4u-8-wireless-anc-headphones#overview

I am not sure about that one… looks like it’s only 2 sold so far.

I’ve been thinking of getting the Beyerdynamic dt770 pro 80 ohm, are they any good?

Bit of a beyer fanboy here but yes… they are very good. V signature so if you love vocals may not be the best bet but still very good. Mmx300 is the gamer equivalent with a mic, easy to drive, and ever so slight change in signature(its not as bright) granted depends on which you can get cheaper.

Then again if you want wireless… dt 770 can get be modded to have a detachable cable and be turned wireless if that’s your thing… otherwise penrose may suit you it’s new so wait a bit for more info on it. Other would be panda but it’s a bit out of budget. A very budget friendly one is cooler masters mh670 which is a more fun tuning of the mh752 with diff comfort and wireless… headphones with bluetooth can be a bit costly depends on if you want low latency as you’ll need two bluetooth dongles and something like brt3k or other setups

Thank you very much! Though I am still curious about the hyperx cloud 2’s or the alpha s’ and the ath m40x, how do they sound?

I’d have to sit back down with the two headsets as it’s been quite a long time but they definitely aren’t as good as others listed though. M40x is subtle v shaped but needs a pad swap less on ear is your thing… it can change its sound rather pleasantly depending on what your looking for but is more intimate on the stage than say a 770

Agree, M40x is a bit V-shaped. As I got more headphones, I started liking them less. Realized I’m not a big fan of the sound.

Treble is hyped and makes for crisp cymbals, but the headphones lack actual resolution.
Bass extends well and has good impact, but sometimes it’s too boomy for my taste.
Small soundstage is nice and focused, but gets claustrophobic with a lot of voices due to poor separation.

I still put them on now and then, but I’m eager to switch to an open back again after half an hour. They are a decent starting point, but I think the M40x is just that. It sufficient for non-headphone people, yet also is a benchmark easy to surpass even within the same or lower price range.

Had to think bout this… and outside of being too boomy I completely agree here comparing to other headphones… though for the price, think I got my old m40x for like $85, it’s not too bad. Pad swaps can make or break it for sure.

Definitely improves with pads. Only the extra pressure from thick brainwaves pads was a dealbreaker for me. It put too much pressure on my temples. :frowning:

Ah I swore off brain due to that and they tear easy… dekoni are so much better… absolutely love their suede. Don’t forget you can stretch the headphone out to relieve some clamping force… just stretch it over its box and leave it for like 3 days. Works for just about any headphone