New to the audio world looking for new cans

Hey Everyone!

I’m extremely new to the audio world and frankly all the information that is posted here and on Zeo’s videos has lead me down a rabbit hole I don’t see the bottom of. Currently I am looking for a new headset with some specs I recently just found out about thanks to Zeo’s and this form and was hoping I could get some suggestions and advice.

My budget isn’t a hard budget but I would like to keep the price range around $300 if possible but that can be pushed in either direction especially if it is exactly what I am looking for.

My current headset that I am looking to replace is a Razer tiamat 7.1 (yes I know I bought into the gamer headset craze like most others please forgive me). I am looking for a few things in a headset that I plan to use for both gaming and music.

Preferneces include: Closed back, over the ear, detachable cord (wanted to go wireless but the quality decrease I have learned is not worth it) and can be used for competitive gaming (based on Zeo’s buying guide)

For games I would use these for, I play WoW, LoL and other casual games as well as some of the Battle royale games such as The Hunt: Showdown and other FPS like Valorant and CS:GO so precision would be nice.

For music I listen to a very wide range of stuff from classical to heavy metal/rock as well as EDM and even some Binaural beats for meditation.

Lastly I am not against using a DAC/AMP I just haven’t delved too deep into that realm as of yet so feel free to recommend those as well.

Thanks for any assistance in advance!

1 Like

Hmmm, perhaps something like an akg k371 would be pretty nice, that also wouldn’t really need a dac/amp either, works well for a wider variety of genre and I think it could be used for competitive for time to time. It’s got good detail with a nice tuning, and pretty decent soundstage and imaging for the price

2 Likes

Thanks for the quick reply M0N!

Would you say the 371 is better than the 361? Was researching it (basically just Zeo’s video) where it looks like the 361 was superior in most ways.

I was also looking at the Audio-technica MX60, the only issue I had was the on the ear rather than the over the ear style, but it did have everything else I was looking for.

I’m really hoping I can find a good mid to upper mid tier that will last me a good long while.

1 Like

Personally I don’t agree with this, imo the 371 is more detailed, has better build, and ends up having a more desirable signature to me. The 361 is mid centric almost and is nice, but I kinda prefer the Harman neutral with a bit of a subbass boost and the better technicalities that the 371 has

It’s good, personally didn’t jump out to me but it was pretty solid

If that’s the case, then although it is a bit over budget, check out the dt177x go, balanced sound, great detail with pretty good soundstage and imaging, along with very solid build and comfort. Although I might suggest trying something else out before you get into that range (unless you just want to skip to a bit higher end)

1 Like

While the two look very similar, the 361 is a cost down, plastic version of the 371.

Would not get an on-ear pair when you plan to use them for extended sessions.

1 Like

This is on sale right now at massdrop: 380$

Thanks for the help everyone!

I went ahead and went with the AKG 361 for a starter set and I have to say the sound quality was fantastic.

I wanted to know if anyone could recommend some after market cushions however? I am running into a problem where the inner portion of my ear rubs up against the hard plastic on the inside causing some irritation. I am mainly looking for thicker pads so it separates my ears from touching the hard plastic surface of the headset.

Thanks again everyone!

3 Likes