Newbei Needs Assistance Choosing a Headphone

Yes… but no. You’ll get sound, maybe even volume… but Sundara needs a lot more power to really shine.

1 Like

I’ll compare my old Sundaras on my zen DAC and g111/Asgard this weekend and give you my take if it would help you

1 Like

@lrjshabaz, Schiit Magni Heresy looks promising. I still need a lot of digging to do in terms of AMPs/DACs. $249 for Asgard 3 might be a little too much for me now. I can’t help but think whether spending this $249 towards the headphone instead is a better idea or not.
I haven’t looked at T50RP yet but will definitely do.
I had a long listening session last night with new EQ. Yes, with some songs that treble indeed hits too much and might be disturbing on the long run. I did decrease the high end for now about 2dB.

@toruc_macta, got it. I’ll look into the Sundara thread to see what AMP people are using. Maybe I can find something within my budget.

@DuerumBen, that would be super useful, are they pre 2020? I’ll check Sundara thread to see what AMP I can pair it with and whether it is going to be within my budget.

What budget and region?

Jopp that’s why I said my old Sundaras :stuck_out_tongue: i can also see ifi a balanced cable for them helps :wink:
Otherwise I can get the dust off my old x2hr the t20rp the dt770 and tygr 300 if those are interesting in that price bracelet to you
I could also throw modded he 560 in the mix but for those you’ll definitely need a bit more juice then the zen DAC :wink:
Any music preferences from you? ( As long as it’s rock and metal :stuck_out_tongue:

@toruc_macta, $600 total budget, US.

Total for…?
Dac + amp + Headponies?

@DuerumBen, got any trash metal? :laughing: Put some good old Slayer to those cans and let me know if they like it :rofl:
DT770 might be another choice.

@toruc_macta, yes correct. $600 will be towards a headphone or HP+AMP+DAC.

Ah a man of culture XD
I’ll throw some old and heavy slayer into my tool HP test list :wink:

1 Like

They definitely are comfortable.
I like them for symphonic metal and acoustic music in general. What they do not do well with is anything that needs bass (Techno, DnB, etc.)

There is also the price to consider. In the EU, you can get them for 200 to 240€. For that, they are definitely worth it. In the US, I would say they are overpriced.

1 Like

So did some hours today on my pre 2020 with the zen DAC as Amp and as a DAC for my g111, songs did include some songs from tools fear inoculum a bit of Metallica s&m bit ACDC and some of slayers reign in blood, south of heaven and God hates us all
Tldr the zen DAC can drive the Sundaras. In SE it lacks the bass punch in kick drums and bass details in busy parts like slayers angel of death need the xbass the be clearly heard but in slower tracks like tool i would say you get 80% out of your HP

If you’re using the balanced 4.4 soundstage increase a bit but more importantly bass gets more detailed in busy parts and kick drums have a better punch
Of course the zen DAC has no chance against the g111 but one hopes so for a 400€ amp :stuck_out_tongue:
On it soundstage increases and the Sundaras get more airy and if you use the zen DAC in variable mode and press that xbass you get the rumble you want without any bloated mids : D

All in all if you get a good price on a pair of used Sundaras the zen DAC is a decent options to get that bass rumble you wants with xbass and if you desire to fully jump in our rabbit hole it can still be used as a decent DAC for something like the g103 ( only beginner amp i have experience with beside the Asgard 3 ) to get the most out your HP :wink:

Hope i could help and have fun ^^