Newbie at HIFI needs help at choosing headset :)

buy from amazon/crutchfield ect. A place that has 30 days no hassle return. Pick one and try it out, if you do not like the sound signature, return it.

Amazon if you can, as I think they have a very painless return process

for amps you just want to get something solid and you will be fine, the headphones are going to make the bigger difference, which is why I think something like a fiio k5 pro or jds labs atom or monolith liquid spark, and a topping d10 or smsl m100 is more then plenty

1 Like

That is the quickest, most thorough breakdown of the basics I have seen. Kudos, well done!

Glad someone didn’t ask me to do that lol, it would have been long-winded and confusing, not at all concise and easy to understand lol

LOL I agree. I would be the same way!

Not sure if someone mentioned Grado, sr80e are nice starter headphones. Available on Amazon, take well to an amp and eq, and under $100.

If you want open back

Wellllll, I would say that if you know what you are getting into, as they can be fairly polarizing lol

Which of these dac / amp modules should i buy to support the amp i have chosen (THX AAA™ 789) and also maybe for itself once in a while?

Have narrowed it down to two (would happily take recommendations if you know of any better solutions but this is what i found after extensive scowering of the web) :slight_smile:

XDuoo XD-05 Plus
FiiO K5 Pro

Thanks in advance! :smiley:

If you are going to buy the thx 789, you would want a dedicated dac, not a dac/amp combo if I am understanding your question correctly

If you wanted a combo unit to use as a line out dac for the 789 and also on the go, the xduoo xd-05 plus is great, and another potential option is the ifi idsd nano black label

The dac on the xduoo will be more balanced, where the dac on the idsd nano will be a bit warmer, if you wanted to add a bit of a warmer sound to the 789. The xduoo has plenty of power on its own, but the ifi is also has plenty for most headphones. I would say go with the xduoo if you are somewhat concerned about power, or the ifi idsd nano if you want a slightly warmer sound

Uhm a quick sidenote since i also need a microphone and have looked into that is there any of these dac / amp that can have a mic connected for audio in? Any specific great ones i mean?

Like an xlr mic or something like a modmic?

Yeah something like an XLR

Well, I would say you would want to get a separate interface and just stay with what you planned. If you are considering a 789 and a portable dac amp, I would suggest to get a behringer um2 and an xlr mic. You could get the focusrite Scarlett solo for better mic quality (not really huge leap forward). What type of mic are you looking at? What is the environment you are in?

Uhm currently im just looking at the Samson G-Track Pro, Shure Sm7b and the rode nt1

My environment is well 3 by 3 meter room with 2,3 by 3 of them being empty

If you don’t want to really worry about treating your room, a dynamic like the sm58 or sm7b (honestly I think this mic is really overpriced for what it is so I wouldn’t recommend it, also needs much more expensive equipment), or the rode procaster, or electro voice re320 would work.

With a condenser mic it will pick up lots of noise (including sound leak from open headphones), so for more casual use a dynamic can reject more background noise

But for mics, you want to pick something that you think would sound good on your voice

Hey i just got my 1990 pro and tried watching some youtube videos and listening to some music and playing some games (tried several hours on each of these different samplerates 16bit 48khz, 24bit 48khz, 24bit 96khz, 24bit 192khz, 32bit 48khz, 32bit 96khz, 32bit 192khz) but there kept being this terrible boosted white noise buzz (first at full volume and also no matter how much i turned down the volume) and the voices i listened to (ingame and on youtube) felt so far and distanced…

Is this the way that they are supposed to sound or does this not sound normal?

What amp and dac are you using it on again? And also what are you listening to exactly

Listened to it first on my pc which outputs from 30 - 600 ohm depending on settings (had it on the highest setting “extreme”.
First i used the mainpanel’s headphone out port and as it was acting up with white noise i tried both plugging it in and restarting the pc and also when that didn’t work i tried the frontpanel’s headphone out which had the same issues

Secondly i tried the headphone out of the mic i bought (samson g-track pro) and it still had this tzzzzzzzzz buzz sound that was amplified no matter how low the volume was put.

Last try i tried my fathers old pioneer 7-something which he said was quite good but it still had the buzz

For reference this is some of the videos / songs i tried listening to (and on my old headset these have a slight buzz atleast some of them but its not louder than the voices like on the DT1990):

Also tried The Witcher 3, Nioh, Nier and also general voice comms but still had the buzz so quite sure its probably not my hardware.

Have you tried it on a phone out to see if there is a buzz? That honestly just sounds like an amp issue because of the buzz regardless of volume. If you test it on something like a phone only it might be different. A headphone should not have a buzz unless something is very wrong