Newbie Headphone Help

Hello!

I’m new to the whole headphones and audio stuff and after watching some of Z’s videos, you know I had to go buy something! Problem is, can’t afford much, so here are the one’s I’m looking at (that are available in my region) :

• the AKG K361 (or K371? I know Z said to buy K361 instead in his video, but it seems like metal571 really likes K371 and has bought himself a pair. Since I can’t go to a store and try it out myself, your advise or experiences will help!)
  • the brainwavz hm5 (should I even consider it? People are saying that it’s still pretty darn good)
  • or should I just save up for a few months and get the Philips SHP9500?

Some more context - I listen mostly to rock and metal and occasionally some classical and jazz. I don’t need it for gaming, I already have a separate gaming headset. I own a pair of AKG K77 Perceptions and I like how they sound but holy crap, are they uncomfortable! I don’t need the headphones for any professional recording or anything (yet), just looking to get something that’ll let me enjoy music for long hours while I work.

Any other recommendations in the same price range are also welcome.

Thanks in advance!

hey bb, there are a few details we need to know so we can truly be helpful.

1. what is your budget?
  2. what kind of music do you like? you may enjoy a lot of genre’s, but tell us what you mostly listen to.
  3. what equipment will you use it with? do you have a DAC or a headphone amp? or using desktop? notebook? phone? tablet?

this will give us some direction so we can point you the right way! :smiley:

3 Likes

There’s two closed-backs and one open-back listed here. Curious if we can figure out the usage/need for that designation first. Budget has been requested, helpful.

It’s interesting because in the US, the K361/K371 costs significantly more than the SHP9500. They have pretty different sound signatures also. Saving for few months to get SHP9500 makes it sound like the SHP’s are too expensive where you are.

Going to guess that you do not have a dac/amp, and we sound budget limited — so recommendations should currently be guided towards items that can be powered by on-board (phone/motherboard) solutions.

As you enter into this world though, you should be aware of the sound quality of the music source and devices that you are driving your headphones with - as this can make a WORLD of difference.

1 Like

Hi @Marzipan and @lrjshabaz ! Thank you for replying.

1. My budget is from INR 5,000 to 12,000 (around USD 65 to 160) (I live in India)
  2. I listen mostly to rock and metal, say stuff like Led Zeppelin, Rainbow, Dio, Deep Purple Black Sabbath, Iron Maiden, Judas Priest, Metallica, Megadeth, Disturbed, Trivium, Killswitch Engage etc - mostly guitar heavy stuff incl some instrumental only stuff from Yngwie Malmsteen, Steve Vai, Al Di Meola etc etc
  3. No special equipment - I don’t have a DAC, but will plan to get one sometime in the future (of course, I will come here for help then too :slight_smile: ). I use it mostly only on my laptop - very rarely with a guitar amp (don’t wanna be disturbing the people around me).

I listen mostly on iTunes and Youtube. I’ve read online that audiophiles listen to FLAC format files, but I don’t know if there’s a cheaper option to legally listen to/download music w/o having to pirate the FLACs. Any recommendations on the music source front?

The AKG’s are cheaper here (in India) - they cost around INR5.6k for K361 and ~10k for K371. The K371 Bluetooth go for ~6k and the SHP9500 is listed for ~14k.