Newbie Need Help before I waste cash

I think he meant the d10 because on paper it measures better… though he made mention there will next to no audible difference

2 Likes

Why avoid the heresy? Do you mean in general or just when paired with the 6xx?

Paired with the 6xx, I believe, as it’s a more analytical amp and the 6xx is a bit amp picky.

The 6xx is really mid forward and imo the clean analytical nature of the heresy made the mids somewhat harsh to listen to for long periods

Just the pairing… they’re both great on their own

For a cheapie DAC I bought a D30 as I wanted lots of input options and I like a dedicated power cable.

Magni 3+ might be a better option for you. Or Liquid Spark.

Ok, so I ordered the 6xx.
Haven’t ordered amp/dac yet. Originally I was going to get the liquid spark but now I’m leaning to just get the Shiit stuff so they look uniform. It seems the performance of all this stuff is so close and with shipping it all comes out to be about the same. I’m deciding in today though because I want them to get here when the headphones do!

1 Like

Between the 3+ and heresy?

The heresy and 3+ are great but for the 6xx I would go for the 3+ just don’t get the modi

2 Likes

So I’ve decided to get everything off Amazon (easy returns if I decide I’m not happy).
I’m between the Schiit Amps (either one I probably wont be able to tell the difference) but if the Modi isn’t good that kind of defeats the purpose of them looking similar.

1 Like

Yeah according to people in the know here the d10/e30/m100 are better choices

3 Likes

Well after days of reading, researching, and searching its done.

I bought my 6xx earlier from mass drop and I just bought the Mod/Magni Heresy from Schiit.com.

I was going to get everything off amazon but the prices even with prime and stuff didn’t make sense. I know you guys said not to get the Modi but I got it in black to match the amp. I found this review of the Modi:

It may not be as good as the topping but I do like that its an American product and from what I understood in the review as long as I use the default windows audio drivers the sound will be good. Also I had an ulterior motive. My wife is also a huge music fan and when she hears this she will probably want one too. If I decide to get different stuff there is a higher chance she will take mine if they match. :slight_smile:

$450 is a lot of cash (to me anyway) to have good headphones. But I spent like $300 for my bose years ago so I figure as long as they sound better to me than that and I really like it then its worth it to me. Also like I said before, I have to buy two of everything because of my wife, so once she sees tries this I will probably have to buy more. (as of right now she is skeptical :wink: )

4 Likes

Nice dude :+1: let us know how you like it

I used to listen to music on my Logitech G930 Wireless headset.
Once all my parts came in, i hooked up my D10, connected it to the Atom, plugged in my 58X, cranked the volume to full blast, and the amp to about 50% and then put on my favorite song. Once the sound came through i was just blown away! it was such a huge difference i was wondering why i haven’t done this YEARS ago?!

I haven’t tried the Bose you have, but i am confident that the combination of 6XX + Shiit Stack is going to be better than your Bose stand alone. Then later throw some EQ tweaks into the mix and potentially pad swap for extra comfort and further sound modification/improvement, and it will feel like audiophile heaven.

Once the sound came through i was just blown away! it was such a huge difference i was wondering why i haven’t done this YEARS ago?!

That was the same thought that crossed my mind 1.5 years ago when I graduated from my PX-100 (v1) fed from an onboard dac to an HD6XX+schitt stack. That was the start of my audiophile journey.

Might be a good idea. I got a dac from schiit. the modi 3 and it stopped working. computer wouldnt see it. so i mailed it to schiit and they sent it back fixed. but the power light would not go on. so i had to send it back again. might of helped if i could just take it to Kohls

I think you need to address some potential power issues.

they got it fixed the 2nd time i sent it. and they paid for shipping. but it was a hassle and took a looooong time

What cables do you guys use on your desk amps?
I’m looking at rca cables for these and the short ones on amazon don’t seem that great.

I like the seismic audio ones on Amazon, they are relatively flexible, connectors are decent.
The monoprice ones are also fine, but stiffer and I like the connectors less.
Outside of that it’s how much do you want to spend and we can start the do cables make a difference discussion again.