Newbie Need Help before I waste cash

Amazon Basics work fine. unless you get into the super highend setups cables generally don’t make a difference. Just get something quality at a good price.

2 Likes

I don’t want to get fancy cables. I just dont want super long ones for something that really only needs to be about half a foot long. I looked at the amazon basics one and the shortest ones are 4ft. I already have SO many cables on my desk between the multiple monitors, keyboard/mouse/speakers/ ect.

I just bought the seismic ones. Even though they were a few bucks more they were only 1ft.

Monoprice has a short one that’s really stiff and I know schitt and jds have short ones too

I got this

I kinda feel like the cables should have been included with the amp or dac. I didn’t want to spend $16 on rca cables that I usually can buy for $3 but they are the right length. Also they might look cool with the black modi and black/red magni

1 Like

I use those, just heads up… you may need to put a piece of paper between the springs as they will rub and you’ll wonder what the crackling is. After that, great for interconnects on a small stack.

Oh I’m using the same interconnects for my Schiit stack too. I don’t have the crackling issue the one DagoRed mention though.

I’m curious about the pairing of HD6XX and the type of music you’re listening to (rocks & soundtracks).
HD6XX was my first entry to this hobby as well and I found it being less effective for soundtracks. Specially orchestral type like those of Hans Zimmer’s. There’s practically no natural soundstage, rolled off highs and sub bass frequencies. HD6XX is amazing with mids and vocal though. It also scales very well with better amps. I’m still surprised by how it gets better with dac/amp upgrades. Every time.

Please let me know what you think of it once you put in some time with it and congratz with the purchase :smile:

I’m interested to try it. I just got a shipping notification for the modi/magni (Friday!) but nothing from drop. I’m sure those wont be here for a while with all the crazy going on right now.

Its funny, I don’t really know what to expect between these headphones with dac/amp vs the stuff I already have. (Cloud Apha for gaming, bose for music, podcasts, ect.) I found lots of people on audio forums claiming the 6xx was great for this type of music then others saying it wasn’t. I will just have to listen and see what I think, if it fails to impress I guess I’ll go for something else. There is a pretty high likelihood that it will sound so much better than what I’ve already tried that it won’t matter that it isn’t “the best”. At least that is what I’m telling myself without going crazy that I spent that much on something I really have no frame of reference for. Gaming PCs, tablets, phones I know what I’m getting for the money, this I’m just hoping I hit play and think “worth it” :smile:

1 Like

I like that attitude. It’s very useful when you don’t want to get too deep in the rabbit hole :sweat_smile:

I also agree, it’s really hard to get an idea how things will sound in particular chain specially if you haven’t listen through it yet. All we can do is to characterize it through what others described to us through these reviews. You can do this to a certain extent of accuracy but beyond that, you have to just pull the trigger and experience it for yourself. I normally re-watched/read the reviews after I experienced it myself to find out which reviewers has the closest description to what I’m hearing so I have better points of reference next time I do my research and thus the endless cycles started :rofl:

1 Like

Well my Schiit order came in today!

Unfortunately I don’t really have headphones that will benefit all that much from the difference yet. My 6xx’s haven’t gotten here yet (delayed shipping, understandable all things considered)

I do have one question. I have bose powered speakers. I thought if I plugged them into the Magni that the volume on the front would not affect them. But that isn’t the case.

1 Like

You need to unplug the headphones first in order for it to go in preamp mode

Even with the headphones not plugged in, I can change the speaker volume with the volume nob on the magni. Is this what is supposed to happen?

Ah yes so the magni 3 acts as a variable preamp, so it will control the volume of the signal. If you just wanted a line level, you could get a rca splitter to split the RCA to both the speakers and the magni

Ok, so split the signal from the modi to the speakers and to the magni. I may just run the spakers to the pc directly. I don’t use them a ton anyway.

My headphones finally came today!
I took them out of the box and plugged them into my amp and I instantly could tell the difference in quality between these and other headphones that I’ve heard. Everything is just much clearer and “big” sounding.

I listened to the new stones track “ghost town” first and was blown away. Then I listened to the entirety of Abbey Road. As anticipated my wife wants some now too so I just placed an order for a second set of all the same items. :slight_smile:

Thanks everyone for the help.

To others looking at the 6xx: my biggest concern with these headphones besides the sound was the fit. They sound incredible to me, which I had hoped was the case. Fit surprised me more. Every video I saw talked about clamping force. I have a watermelon sized head (like a big watermelon. They definitely do hug your head. I would describe them as snug not tight. I’m sure some people want them to be lose, but they aren’t squeezing my head and like I said… my head is huge.

3 Likes

Congratz man! I’m glad you like it. A good friend of mine have the same setup and he said it sounds better after some burn-in. I’m not sure about burn-in effect but maybe it’s something to look for?

This is probably a sign of blessing from her :joy:

Clamping force was the issue for me as well but it’s a really easy fix. Enjoy the music!

Glad you’re liking them so much… these imo are such a good rec at $200… they do really well on budget amps and scale up to a tube so well (and I imagine scale further up on higher tier tube amps) that they offer a longevity that is really appealing… keep us posted on further impressions :+1: