Hello, I’m looking around trying to formulate an initial 2.1 setup for my living room. The use would be about 60% movies 40% music, I have attached an image of my living room space so you can have an idea of what I’m working with. The space is a bit weird so sticking to a simple 2.1 for right now would be best. I guess it would be good to notice that I don’t listen to bass heavy music, so nice vocals are my main interest in terms of music.
For the received I’ve read people are recommending the Denon AVR-S650H, so I think I’ll get that so I can expand to a add a center if needed and surround speakers when I get a better space in the future. I like the receiver since I’d be able to play music from a local server using the HEOS app.
The other option I saw was the Yamaha RX-V385. I could consider something like this if I can find a way to play music without needing to connect to bluetooth from my phone or have the projector on.
In terms of speakers I’ve been looking at a few options:
- Jamo S 803 - This was the first one I saw, I like the design, Zeos seems to have spoken very well of them. From what I gather they are good at producing bass, but I’m not sure how important that would be if I’m getting a sub. These are currently $215 which is a bit over what I’d like to spend on the speakers right now but if they are worth it I could go for it.
- Fluance SX6W - I’ve read good things about these, they are pretty cheap at $124, though I’ve heard the Signature are just better. Unfortunately I can’t seem to find the center alone (for future purchase) on amazon or their site so idk if the only way to get that would be in the packaged system.
- Fluance Signature HiFi - Similar to the Jamo, looks good and have heard good things about them. The center is also available. These are a bit cheaper than the Jamos at $199. In a sound comparison video I kinda liked the highs of this a bit more over the Jamos.
- Pioneer BS22 - I saw these recommend in another thread. In a video comparison I liked the way vocals sounded compared to the Fluance. These are currently $179 though I did see that they could be had for less through refurbs (currently unavailable).
The Pioneers are the closest to the $160 price range I’d like to shoot for, but at the same time if spending another $40 can get me a considerable improvement then I could do that. I consider quality over keeping with the budget most of the time (to my own detriment).
In terms of subs I have seen these two recommended a lot. From reading up a bit I understand that I might not get the best experience in movies unless I get a sub that can hit very low 20Hz range and to do that I would need to get into very expensive subs. At the moment I would like to get a sub that works good enough at a $200 price. I have downstairs neighbors so I also want to be considerate.
- BIC America F12 - $205
- Dayton Audio SUB-1200 - $149.95 (On PartsExpress) Couldn’t find this on Amazon, not sure where would be the best place to get it.
I’m a newbie to audio gear so I’d like to hear from you guys what you think of the things I’ve been looking at and if there are any other options I haven’t looked at.