Nighthawk Carbon vs HD600

I’ve had them all, 660s are more detailed and less “shouty”, I do like the 600 but they’re gonna feel super light sounding if you’re used to the kph30i, they got zero bass, they’re more or less like the ksc75 if you’ve heard those, crinacle’s site is only good for graphs imo…

I’m just comparing the 660 and 600’s graphs and the HD600 have more bass. So yeah, you can’t really trust the graphs.

I once tested the 660 in an electronics store for a bit and didn’t find any issues with them, but today you can’t find anything hifi related in those stores anymore.

The 660 sell for 370€ and the 600 for 290€. And I would be much more comfortable not buying any Drop Sennheisers because I may want to return them If I dislike them which is not easy with international shipping and so on

lol knew you were gonna say that, it’s more like this in reality:

You basically can go higher volume with the 660s cause of the 3k peak on the 600s, that’s why people say they’re shouty, I mostly listen to metal and I swapped the 600 for 660s cause they’re a bit warmer and the the 6xx are just too muddy imo, from that sennheiser lineup I’m confident the 660s are gonna feel the most like an upgrade coming from kph30i but maybe look elsewhere, but yeah it’s hard finding a detailed non harsh headphone around that price, I basically dropped my 660s since I got the 177x for what it’s worth.

Some people might recommend the zeus or maybe the sivga phoenix but I haven’t heard those, I really do think 660s are where it’s at if you can find them under $400, and specially if you have no access to drop, they need less of an amp too.

Thanks, I think I’m gonna try and find a good hifi dealer where I can actually test them myself.

BTW. Why does your crinacle graph look different in the sub bass region?

I just lined them up at 3k, that’s where female voices and electric guitars tend to be, so probably what you’d set the volume to

That makes sense, thanks!

580, 600, 650 kill the 660s on a proper chain.
If youre not using an ideal chain for the 300ohm senns you’re not going to like what you hear. EQ isn’t fixing it all. You’re trying to make a headphone what it wasn’t meant to be.

If you can’t trust graphs then why do you believe measurements are everything?

Some amps won’t measure as clean as a thx 789, but I’d take them over it.

1 Like

I don’t trust graphs when it comes to speakers and headphones, because it’s way more difficult to measure them properly and the result might be completely different with different ears.
Amplifiers on the other hand only have to amplify the signal and it’s easy to measure how well it does that and see if there are any issues with it.

I like the work SBAF (specifically atomicbob and Marvey) did on this subject by making an electrical model of the HD650.
Take that dummy-load and another lower impedance version simulating some common low-impedance headphone and you could get two good (= repeatable and verifiable) datapoints for amps.

Having a static load (like a simple resistor) means the amplifier is only fighting minimal inductance and capacitance, skewing the results in favour of the amp and away from real-world scenarios.

I am still tinkering on a variable-ish dummy load of my own. Since I am a bit starved for hobby time, that will likely not be finished until the second half this year. If there is interest, I can make a thread about that (or send you a DM).

There can be manipulation with them too.

There are so many arguments for both sides that I decided to trust my own experience and try to avoid products that measure completly terribly.

But I wouldn’t get any product over another just because it has 2dB more SINAD.

I’m happy with my current clean sounding topping setup.
Most amps in the <1000€ sound about the same to me, and that’s why I think that a clean powerful amp is all you need.

But hey, maybe some high end amp might change my mind in the future, who knows

The best thing is to listen. Senns on a solid otl won’t measure great but sound awesome.

2 Likes

Whole heartedly agree with this entire statement.

1 Like

Maybe they’ll sound very similar, but you might notice after hours of listening to music, your ears won’t hurt.

You also might want to try medium gain or low gain instead of high-gain, if that’s an option. High gain probably has better bass/drum kicks, but… this might mean a boost in “macrodynamics”, meaning cymbals etc. also hit more, and in your case, more than they should. A good compromise to make – and it’s free, heh.

A non-free option could be Focals, most of their headphones got interesting dips in the treble region.

Lol if people are gonna pressure you into buying a thousand dollar tube amp to maybe get some placebo, you might as well just get something like a focal clear and be done.

1 Like

Lol BHC. Darkvoice. There’s two under 1k. Combined.

I agree that upgrading headphones is better spend money than getting a thousand euro amp