No sound during calls, Google doesn't help. I've tried everything. Please help!

Hello everyone I’d really appreciate if someone can help me figure out what’s wrong here.

I am going to detail the process I went through to figure out the problem, so please bear with me, this post might be a little long.

I bought the Edifier TWS 1 Pro two weeks ago.

Immediately my package arrived, I tested everything and discovered there was no sound during calls.

There was sound when I played music. There was sound when I connected it to my laptop and played music.

Everything else worked fine but there was no sound during calls. I tried making calls with it and it made a sound for the first second (during the ring tone).

I connected the earbuds to another phone and the same problem continued.

I called the first phone from the second phone and put the first phone on speaker. I spoke and I could hear myself from the first phone.

It confirmed that the microphone was working.

I returned the earbuds and ordered another set. Same model.

The new set arrived and I tested it, I could make calls. I could hear. I was happy.

Suddenly, while on a call, another call came in and suddenly, I couldn’t hear anything. I was out, I got home and I connected the earbuds to the second phone and tried to call the first phone. It worked. I connected back to the first phone and it worked.

One day later, the problem happened again. I connected to the second phone and the problem persisted. I connected to a third phone and it worked fine. I connected back to the first phone and it worked fine again.

One day later, the problem returned. I connected to the first and second phones and the problem persisted. I ordered a return.

Note: I went into developer settings and tried to change the Bluetooth audio codec to Adapt X or something but it didn’t work, it kept changing back to SBC by itself.

I ordered for the Edifier X5 and it just arrived today and lo and behold, the problem is there.

I have tried all the steps and still nothing.

And it appears, I am the only one experiencing this problem.

I have emailed Edifier and they told me to send the SN code, I did that and they referred back to the warranty of the eCommerce store, I got the earbuds from.

I am obviously going to have to return these earbuds again but I want to know whether the fault is from my devices or not.

My main device is the Infinix Zero 6.

Welcome to the wonderfully broken and annoying Android Bluetooth stack.

You can try going into settings/apps/system apps. Open the Bluetooth app and clear the cache, but honestly it will probably not solve the issue, maybe it will delay it a bit.

As far as going back to SBC that would be you device manufacturer purposely locking off all other codecs. For some reason Razer did this to the razer phone 2 as well. Besides actually loading a custom rom (firmware) on to the phone I don’t know a great solution for this either.

Thanks for much for the response.

Are you saying the issue comes with my phone?

Because other users don’t report this problem with the same earbuds.

Will changing the audio codec somehow fix the problem?

Just tried to clear the cache and the data and it doesn’t work.

The issue is your phone + the earbuds. Some combos work well together some do not. Changing the codec can help with staying connected, but if you are connected but not getting audio (calls or media or one but not the other) then it is the Bluetooth software on the phone + the chipset the phone uses for Bluetooth and your Bluetooth device not playing well with each other. I have had these issues off and on with different phones, but mainly Androids Bluetooth stack has issues and certain combinations will just flat out break it. Odds are separately your phone is fine and the TWS is fine… just not together in that combination.

Just went back to my old earbuds that worked well for on a former phone before it was stolen. I have used them a couple of times on this phone but ultimately stopped using them for calls because the microphone was poor at picking up voice.

I abandoned them because the case stopped charging the buds without being connected to a power supply.

Now I have observed the same thing happening.

I connect,

I hear sound during calls,

I press the volume down button and Gbam, the sound goes.

I’m shocked because these earbuds once worked well with this phone.

Even though I haven’t used them for calls in months because the mic volume is low.

Then it is definitely something with the Android OS on the phone.

I’m using the second model of earbuds from the same brand.

Edifier X5

And I’ve just tested it on three different devices and I am experiencing the same problem.

Could it be from the buds if I have tried two different models (including two sets from the same model) and then tried it on three different devices?

I’m really puzzled here.

Thanks for the time you’re taking to answer my persistent inquiries

That is odd. So using multiple different Bluetooth devices on the same phone and one having worked previously definitely seems like an issue with the software on the phone. If no Bluetooth device ever worked then it might have been a hardware issue, but it seems like they have in the past.

A Bluetooth TWS failing to work on multiple devices seems like an issue with the TWS, maybe it is just a poor design in how it does the TWS pairing, but the Qualcomm 3040 chipset the edifies tws uses should work fine I have used a few different sets based on this chip and they all connected fine.

So here are the results of the test I just ran.

I took a fourth device. A Xiaomi Redmi 9C which runs android 10.

1. I connect the Earbuds and make a call and I can’t hear anything. Then I press the volume down key and I hear the ringing.

2. I switch to my Infinix Zero 6 and I make a call and I can hear the ringing. I press the volume down key and the sound stops.

3. I switch back to the Redmi 9c and repeat step 1, the voice comes back.

4. I connect to the Zinox Zpad 7 (Second device in original post) and it works. I press the volume down button and the volume up button and it still works.

5. I repeat step 2, same result.

Looking forward to your comment on my last post.

Thanks.

Like I said Android’s Bluetooth software is not great (if I am being charitable), I am not sure exactly what is causing this really odd chain, but it does seem like the Bluetooth device does work and the various phones and tablets do work… but something with the software in between is just doing something really wrong.

The main times I have had anything approaching this was when I was using early versions of TWS earbuds and those would freak out like this only if I powered the second one on too fast before the first one made a good connection to my phone, but the 2 Qualcomm chipsets in the TWS devices you mentioned should be using connection mirroring so that shouldn’t be the issue.

You could try
https://www.xda-developers.com/

Not sure if they have someone that has enough experience with the phones/tablets you use, but they are more knowledgeable about Android as a whole.

Thanks for the help man.

I will create a post in XDA Forums and hopefully someone there will have a solution for me.