Noble Audio Fokus Apollo

I received my Noble Fokus Apollo’s today and saw that no one had posted anything yet. Let’s get the ball rolling…

First Impressions (2.5 Hours Of Listening):

• Headband extended fully just barely fits my large head
  • Ear pads are fairly comfortable, my ears just squeeze into them, looking forward to them softening up
  • Slight headband hotspot
  • Very good passive noise cancellation
  • Wired listening connected to Questyle M15i dongle on Sony Xperia 1 VI using Tidal Max files
  • Firmware update was available and easy to install via Fokus app
  • Extreme driver distortion at higher (but tolerable) listening levels when using included 4.4mm adapter, fine when only using included 3.5mm cable
    Update: I ordered a different 4.4mm adapter from Amazon to make sure the issue isn’t my dongle

Sound Powered Off/Wired 3.5mm:

• Passable if battery dies
  • Every frequency range has a veiled sound, but not unlistenable (similar to other BT headphones I have used this way)

Sound Powered On/Wired 3.5mm:

• Default EQ much clearer with good timbre

Sound Powered On/BT/No ANC:

• Default EQ clearer, but retains slight veil from powered off/wired
  • Amp has enough power for decent listening volumes, but some tracks need more, too easy to max out

Sound Powered On/BT/Hearing Test & App EQ/No ANC:

• Custom hearing test EQ removed some of remaining veil, required tweaks to match powered on/wired results
  • EQ adjustment provided gain increases that fixed listening volume issues for the most part

Overall:

• Great instrument separation and soundstage
  • In-app hearing test and customizing EQ’s is very easy
  • EQ frequency options are odd (to me at least)

Thoughts:

• Have others been able to do any pad rolling yet?
  • Extra extension and padding around the edges of the headband would help relieve headband hotspot
  • EQ adjustments have brought the sound very close to my IEMs, but fitment with my large head could be an issue. I will see what I can do to help comfort-wise, but I might have to return them
2 Likes

Update: I received my new 4.4mm adapter today and re-tested. It ended up being the 3.5mm cable itself. There is a short in one of the ends, and the metal strain relief cover came off.

If I wiggle the cable around, regardless of which 4.4mm adapter I am using, the music cuts in and out, one channel will cut out, or I get the previously mentioned distortion.

When the cable is working properly the Apollo’s do sound quite good in powered off mode, however, given this issue, along with my fitment issues, I will be sending them back tomorrow.

I hope these posts have been useful, and for others that have purchased, I hope you have much better luck.