Nymzreviews.com official thread

Sounds cool, just wish the isolation of it was closer to something like Mele though.

1 Like

A question Nymz. There is a lot of talk about the amount of energy needed to move the EDXS. Some say that with burn (more than 80 hours) the driver “loosens up” and needs less power.
In your experience, how much do you need (in mw)…more than 120mw…more than 200mw…more than 400mw…

Sorry, burn-in doesn’t exist, at least to me, so I can’t help you with that.

As for power, I need to test it. It’s a planar so power is always welcome.

Burn in?
None.

If it is to “loosen up” a driver, particularly Hifiman, I’d say it happens through your normal use and the change is minuscule. Yeah sure the film does loosen up, I have a HE400se myself, and the sound shifted a bit after a few days but not much. There really is no such thing about how much mw equals how many hours to acquire a certain amount of “loose” or “final form of sound”.

Unless you are this guy.

1 Like

Uh. Damn. I just reviewed zero… Damn.

8 Likes

2 years late, but better late than sorry. Also Vivid. Uh.

Back to the tip grind to make guides :cry:

6 Likes

Oh these fucking assholes!

(But could they bump the 6.3k dip up 2-3db while they’re there? Asking for a friend) :face_with_open_eyes_and_hand_over_mouth: :face_with_peeking_eye: :face_with_open_eyes_and_hand_over_mouth: :face_with_peeking_eye:

I don’t really get it. What is this “project red”?

As other posts elsewhere point out, why does burn in (if it exists) always improve the sound? Logically it should also lead to (if break in exists) to the sound getting worse as well. That being said, no FR measurements show that break in exists, and that if anything, the changes in sound from one listening session to another are due to many possible factors including state of mind, positioning of headphone, head pad compression over time, and many other possible factors.

2 Likes

Bruh. I mean if it’s the same price I guess it’s fine :roll_eyes:

I hear you. My outburst is about the fact that I appreciate but don’t fully like the Zero as it is, but have learned to make my peace with that…

And then they’re working on a set that would answer most of my issues with the Zero? That’s funny lol

The Mw is apart from the burn-in. They are different things. By mw (amplifier power) I mean the power needed to make them sound at 90-95% of their capacity.

Regarding burn-in, I have experienced changes. Also non-audiophile people testing. It may be burn-in as such or pad softening but I am 100% sure that at least the Sundara, EDXS, Arya, T20rp3 and M1060 have changed for me and my sound perception.
Generally in Hifiman it is more noticeable. More noticeable bass, more detail retrieval, improved imaging (something similar happened to the Timeless). Also, as some people’s perception indicates, I notice that it sounds louder than at the beginning.

As you said, there are a lot of factors that will contribute to differing perception of sound.

One other note though, is that with headphones (and earbuds), the pads (foams) definitely DO have a physical “burn in”, which definitely changes the sound, so thats another factor to take into consideration.

2 Likes

I agree. Pads and foams to matter.

1 Like

3 Likes

hmm, actually, maybe silicone tips are also affected by this…

1 Like

in my personal experience burning in gear rarely does anything but I’ve had 2 cases that IEM’s went from unlistenable for more than a couple songs to being able to use for hour sessions
and a headphone that went from “wow this is good” to “wow this mediocre” lol
my burn in consists of putting it on a table and letting a dap play music at a bit louder than I would listen to it for at least 72ish hours longest was a week and my findings are that if it does anything it usually softens treble spikes

Kinda funny Crin feels the need to tweak tbe Zero when it graphs almost identical to his own tuned Dioko?

I am very surprised that Project Red is a retuned Salnotes Zero considering that the mentioned IEM is basically a semi-collab (Crin was paid for helping with tuning - revealed on “Why you SHOULDN’T trust me” video in the description) .

2 Likes