Nymzreviews.com official thread

Yeah, I kinda have my own doubts about amps and their “power”.

3 Likes

Sorry, the IE600 had to continue their journey, so I don’t get to test them with the tracks.

2 Likes

I think I was misunderstood - I don’t doubt that Q5k has truly this 210mW or so of rated power (as was measured by ASR) and Sony has 37mW. What I am trying to say was that I was still able to get enough volume from this low power source for this IEM on -3dB gain having volume at ~60/120 settings so there was plenty of headroom. I did not check what would happen if I would crank it all the way up to spare the transducers :slight_smile:
What I wanted to say was that a lot of people recommended me sources like hiby R8 on balanced or Fiio M15 for MEST because of the power that the EST drivers pray for. This is just not my experience at all, but really AT ALL. I dont know where would all that power go to in the end

4 Likes

oh, I got what you meant.

1 Like

Happy to hear that you found your endgame.

I feel similiar about many things you wrote with my Mest Mk2. After I bought it, I got to try some great sets, but it’s never really a potential buy as those IEMs were all expensive in their own right and worse than the Mest. On the other hand I don’t find the Mest to be great, but far from perfect. I still would love to try the Variations, but have a hard time justifying the purchase.

You say that 615$ is not worth the price, but another way to think about it: Can get 615$ get you something better? (probably not)

In regards to sources: I also don’t find power to make a difference, but with the Mest and Excalibur I find that output impedance makes a hughe difference. Can you try the Apple dongle vs Qudelix? Imho the Apple dongle sounded cleaner (than unbalanced Q5K).

2 Likes

Ok, I thought that you thought that I wrote about manufacturers lying or not telling the whole truth in their specs. Cheers then! :beer:

1 Like

That is true as well lol.

Since nothing they specify will tell you how they actually perform (current limiting) at higher or lower impedances than the standard 32 or the other given impedances.

4 Likes

Example.

Thats at 32 ohm, you aint gonna get that much at lower values.

1 Like

Nothing beats topping of all possible companies stating the max power output of their power amplifier (MX5 if I remember correctly) as a value with THD of 10% :smiley:

5 Likes

To be honest I don’t find Excalibur and/or Mest much more resolving than the Timeless in ways that it matters. Even though I love details, I would rather get a Tribrid in order to deal with the Timeless’s other shortcomings (not-punchy bass and thin sound compared to other sets) and not in order to get 5% more details.

That being said I think the biggest difference as it relates to resolution between Timeless and Mest Mk2 for me is: The Timeless comes across more like a try-hard… very “in your face”. The Mest on the other hand sounds more reserved and if it come across some details its replay comes across as more effortless to me. Guess I enter the realm of audiophile bs terminology :sweat_smile:

4 Likes

I don’t have Apple dongle unfortunately but some cheap CX31993 dongle that I use with iPad. I am in this unfortunate situation that my phone still has 3.5mm output, so I am not really a dongle guy.

Regarding the output impedance - it is not stated anywhere unfortunately, but I read somewhere that WM1A (which is probably 8x the price of A55) has something like 1.3 Ohm which is not the lowest value if you ask me, but I don’t feel much of a difference between this and straight off 3.5mm of my phone or Q5k.
I was afraid initially reading your previous comments on it how the sound of your MK2 changes vs. source, but I am more than happy with this Sony.

If 600$ can get me more? Probably only on the second hand market at the moment or probably only if I am looking for something completely different in IEMs

3 Likes

I think “effortless” word is perfect description! It is not trying, it is not in your face, the details are delicate like petals of flowers thrown in the air as I heard during review of one guy that I don’t know what to think about (ConvinceMeAudio - MEST review was the most poetic and engaging description of any music piece of equipment that I heard up to date)

2 Likes

That be fine it nice but you can not see it when you listen.:smiley_cat: The timeless and the ISN 40 are not lookers lol. The B2 is not bad. Mele kind of the same.

2 Likes

For people who have heard both, and I know there are plenty in this thread. I am thinking about buying a pair of Teas and trying to decide if it is worth the money to get the newer Tea2. I can get the OG Tea on Drop for $260, or the Tea2 on Amazon or Linsoul directly for $350.

Amazon typically has a better return policy that the other two, but there might be other reasons I am not thinking of. I have only bought a couple things from Drop/Massdrop.

Is the new one worth the extra $90 ?
and / or is there a reason to not buy from Drop vs Linsoul or Amazon ?

Or is there another similar / dark IEM I should be considering?

2 Likes

If you are looking for a dark IEM, you might as well go with the (cheaper) OG Tea.

The Tea 2 is less dark and a better allrounder, but at the same time it is less special and more of a compromise imho. (disclaimer: I am not into dark IEMs, so take that opinion with a grain of salt).

2 Likes

Another dark iem would be the Final E5000.

But gl with QC.

2 Likes

Dunu VERNUS - Limited Edition

8 Likes

Dunu Zen Pro

7 Likes

I like the new one better and it’s an easier rec, but the old one has something that can’t really be explained. Also darker.

Really depends on what you value most. Tea2 is more technical but also more analytical.

1 Like

That is a very good point, and a very good way to think about it. I have things closer to the Tea2, but not the OG Tea, so that makes a ton of sense. Thanks.

That seems consistent, and I have other good IEMs, so maybe capturing that original tea magic is what I want here. I get that the brighter one would be an easier rec, and if it were my only IEM, I think it would be the easy answer.

3 Likes