Old DAP, new battery?

The battery on my venerable Cowon P1 DAP [from 8 years ago] is failing, and it may cost about $100 to have it replaced. I am torn between switching to a newer DAP and having this one replaced. Have DAPs really improved much beyond having balanced?

A good mid tier DAP these days is Hiby R6 III and while I can not comment on changes in sound quality to older DAPs I really like the implementation of a system wide kind of equalizer that allows you to fine tune your gear to your desired preferences

2 Likes

Get yourself a newer DAP. There are good options in the mid-range right now.

1 Like

I’d say try something from somewhere with a easy return policy and if it isn’t worth it to you then grab that battery lol

2 Likes

Now that’s not a bad idea.

Honestly, I think significant improvements have been made in sound and features on DAPs which are a fairly young technology in the grand scheme of things. Not that older DAPs can’t sound good, many do. It’s just that as DAC and amp implementations have gotten better, by and large. Whether that makes much of a difference will likely depend on the gear you use with your DAP, the use case, your ears/preferences, and the resolution/quality of the source files you’re looking to play.

1 Like

Looks like Cowon made the decision for me, as they responded but said they can’t help me as the product is discontinued. Thanks for all the replies ~