Oluv DAC/AMP comparison and results

He said amps were useless for him, he just prefers the simplicity. But he also said “go ahead” if you prefer amps. Shrugs. I don’t consider him as an “anti-audiophile”.

It’s a typical Objectivist view point, and wrong.

Measurements describe sounds and anything that measures adequately must sound the same as anything that measures similarly.

One of the guys over at SBAF did blind listening tests on the Magni 3 and Magni Heresy and he guessed correctly 100% of the time which was which, and as Amir points out in his review nothing in the measurements indicates they should sound different.

His comments are pretty anti-audiophile, and somewhat attacks those that don’t agree with him

1 Like

I will admit with the SP200, that volume thing he presented does exist, but how he presents it is exaggerated. He had to have done some manipulation or skewed the presentation where it corrects itself at around 12 oclock or so. I would say it happens closer around 7 when it is nearly muted, but I never considered it an issue.

Well he said the iPhone was better than the SP200, but… I believe him. There was something wrong with his SU-8 or something. I don’t believe the SP200 is crap, just… I believe something was wrong with his stuff.

He will use the DX7 Pro now, and may get the THX 789.

Well at least he is going to use something decent now lol

1 Like

I just commented this on his last video.

Considering a LOT of people thought the SP200 was crap, and even worse than the iPhone, even me in the blind test, I’m wondering if there’s a problem with your SMSL SU-8. You could plug the SP200 XLR into the DX7 Pro, which most of us found was the best sounding, and compare (and maybe let US compare) the amp portion of the DX7 Pro vs the SMSL SP200 amp. This would eliminate one variable. (Maybe even compare the THX 789 vs the SP200 on this same DAC, SP200 is even THX 888, i.e. allegedly the better technology.)

guys what are we gonna do about olav?

Nothing really, just let him be in his ignorance, it’s not like you could convince him otherwise, you have to knowingly spread misinformation if you act like he does lol

I mean, what are we gonna do about Steve Guttenberg who says the point of diminishing returns for speakers is 50 000$?

As always, just take every review with a grain of salt, and never listen to just one reviewer.

are you saying that the SU8 is a bad DAC? or that the SU8 and SP200 sounds bad connected to each other? This is my stack. im concerned

TBF, Steve recommends and pushes cheaper stuff all the time. And I personally like that he doesn’t rely on graphs… just listens and relays his experience with it.

I guess there’s a problem with his SU-8. I’m not saying the SU-8 sucks either. Never heard it myself.

Actually, if you got the SU-8 + SP200 stack, you can listen to the youtube video (or the audio file) and compare “original audio” versus “SP200/SU-8” parts and if you hear a difference, well, something’s wrong.

ok so the SP200 and SU8 stack are good? the best at 500$ right?

Well you would hear a difference regardless because one is being recorded through a mic and one is not

For transparency/analytical probably yeah

1 Like

ok good, cause i want the best. if theres somthing better at this price point i wanna know about it. BTW anyone heard anything about the SMSL M200? thought it would be out by now.

This item will be resealed in January 2020 on the plan. -SMSL-Mandy

Maybe i should replace the SMSL with a Topping D50? or a D70?

The d50 is just a sidestep. The D70 would be an upgrade but I would improve the amp first imo