Open back (around 200) 4xx or 58x?

HI Guys.

I have some SHP9500 and wanted to upgrade buying massdrop. I usually play esports and in terms of music I usually listen to Hiphop, EDM and Rock. In terms of amp / dac I have the fiio e10k .

What would be the best option?

Thanks PS: in massdrop Eu the 4xx are 160$ and the 58x are 200$.

the 58x I would only really recommend the 4xx if you had a better amp to play with something in the range of the fiio k5 pro, monoprice liquid spark, or jds labs in terms of power.

I would say it would depend on the type of sound you are after. Both are great and worth their price, it just depends on what sound signature you prefer. But I would suggest an amp upgrade in the future if you went with the 4xx, but it should be fine with the e10k for the moment

1 Like

I own both. It does depend on the sound signature you prefer but for those genres the 4XX is the better option in my opinion. With the caveat that not all rock/metal sounds good with the 4XX. Also, the 4XX benefit from an amp more than the 58x. Something to consider but either one will be an excellent option.

I listen to mostly rock and I really dislike the 4xx. I find them to be very detailed but ultimately the come across as thin and lifeless. Maybe they are just a bad match for my Topping MX3, but that’s what I have. Sure, I can occasionally pick out some nuance I had never heard, but I never find myself just enjoying the music and bobbing my head to the beat with the 4xx.

In this price range, I much prefer the 6xx and the Dekoni Blue (which is semi open). If I’m in the mood for something more neutral, the 6xx would be preferable over the Blue. If I’m in the mood for something more fun that lets me “feel” a bass line rather than just “hearing” it, I go for the blue.

I can’t speak for the 58x directly, but from what I’ve heard, the 6xx and 58x are pretty close in character so hopefully this comparison is of value.

Well if you compare the 6xx the 4xx would sound a bit thin in comparison. The 58x actually have less mid-range quality with better extended high end and low end, but still have a somewhat similar sound to the 6xx, but the 58x is a fair bit more exciting

I do think the 4xx could use more power and get more low end, but still

Hmmm. Sounds like I should pick up the 58x some day. Thanks for weighing in here.

I should also say that the 58x has better imaging too. Soundstage is a bit similar. But the 6xx has better detail and also has a very organic timbre which the 58x kinda lacks a bit imo. The 58x is also a fair bit less amp picky and will pretty much run happily off of a phone, while the 6xx is more picky but can scale better

1 Like