Open back recommendations for movies/TV

Im looking for a pair of headphones strictly for movies and TV shows. Im currently using the dt770 pro 80ohm and pc38x. The 770s are a real fun pair for movies, they are wide enough and the bass is great but i have a dog and i can’t be closed off to my surroundings at night. The sennheisers are good but kinda boring to be honest, maybe not enough bass?
Should have plenty of power for most suggestions, xd-05 plus and hip dac. So what are y’all using for movies?

What kind of budget are you working with? Right of the top of my head focal elex tend to be nice and dynamic for tv and movies. Little less expensive and open would be sundara or the 4XX. Hhhhmmmm and budget I would got with KPH30i’s as they can be fun.

My first instinct was to say Zues. When I hear the subject though, my brain zaps to HT and I want a flat, extended bass response. Have always been an advocate for larger-driver sealed subwoofers. Decent I’d hate for you to lose bass output vs your 770.

I find the stage/imaging characteristics to be important and when I casually game, I’m choosing ATH-AD900x, but I am no basshead. If I had more funds for it, Maybe Hifiman Ananda for me.

If you’re loving Beyer, maybe a 990-250 would work out?

I just bought Sundaras and they are great. If you like the 770 you might like these. The Sundara is warmer in comparison but still a little bright, it just comes out a lot smoother on the treble with much more detail. Energetic for sure and not boring.

For your use case you will need to use EQ. But trust me it is very worth it, you can really bring up the bass for a cleaner, louder and even “rumblier” bass than the 770, in my opinion the bass here is much better but if you never heard of a planar I can not guarantee you will like it.

Some people prefer the dynamic bass, planars sound faster and they have a characteristic slam.

Another difference is the deepest sub-bass isn’t as audible but I feel like this happens generally in open-backs although I don’t have experience to back up this claim.

Anyway stock frequency I wouldn’t recommend them since you probably won’t like the flat response.

I picked up the HE560 a few weeks ago, and they have become my go to for gaming and movies. Pretty wide and good amount of bass/sub bass.

Thanks everyone for the suggestions. I’ve narrowed it down the the Elex or Ananda. Anyone have experience with both? Again this is mainly for movies/tv although great sounding for music is a plus but certainly not a deciding factor. After reading a bunch of reviews im more confused than ever. Damn this hobby lol

1 Like

What did you end up getting?