Open back with less leakage

Have 880 and I love the imaging but I’m after something with a little less sound stage and roughly the same leakage. The soundstage is fantastic and can truly make things sound far away, as they should be. However I’m after something a bit closer. I’m also after something different than the Beyerdynamic sig and feel.

Looking for something no more than $500. Been watching a good amount of Z’s sound demos to skip to the end to detect leakage but it’s tough to tell. The 660s is one of the few where he actually states that’s there’s surprisingly less leakage. Perhaps the lcd 1?

Any suggestions with mostly focus on imaging and less leakage but still getting the open benefits?

If you want something closer, the 660s does sound up your alley from what you describe. You can find them used or open box for a good price typically

Any other suggestions to possibly save a buck and get close to the performance? Do you agree with the leakage claim on then 660s? Also, leakage level on the lcd 1 or should I not consider those?

Well the hd58x is a great choice then, similar tuning and presentation to the 660s

The lcd1 might leak a bit too much for your tastes, also not the best imaging

thoughts on the nighthawks, the open back ATHs, or previously rec’d t60rp?

The Hawks do leak, so I don’t know if it would be the best option. I think if you have the power a t60rp would be my pick if you wanted great sound and not a lot of leak

think the hawks leak more or less than 880s?

Hmmm, I would say about similar enough

you think the 58X fits well in this group of fairly more expensive headphones?

for leakage the 58x’s leak as much if not more than the 880s but is a different sound sig if you want something that compliments the 880. have you considered a wide sounding closed back like the dt 177x go? while not as wide i presentation pretty wide for a closed back

i have a fairly unique situation where i want open back more than anything but can’t have the full open leakage. An example of “full open”, that i’ve experienced, is the sundara. I also don’t want a closed back where everything around me is shut out. I love my 880s and they’ve led me to explore the “semi-open” market but it’s very limited. Now i’ve turned to open back but am after others personal experiences regarding choosing from a selection with “less” leakage. Imaging>soundstage is my pref for this selection.

hard to really beat the 880’s imaging. the 660or m58x are definitely one to consider imaging wise though they are narrower headphones but have a weaker imaging left and right than a 880

1 Like

Is the leakage on the lcd1 as much as the sundara? Also, thoughts on lcd1 imaging versus sigva p-ii? Or m570 to save a buck?

It’s about similar, I would say the lcd 1 leaks a bit less but they both leak a fair bit. I think the sivga might have better imaging. I wouldn’t consider the m570 with all the issues they have been having

M570 issues? QC or?

They tend to have resonance and ringing issues, and also channel imbalance with recent batches. The sivga hasn’t had these issues yet.

We missing anything with good imaging with less, even slightly, than the sundara? Thinking the Aiva driver option around the $400 mark. Anything for less $$$ to consider? From what I’ve heard I fear the imaging of the 58x. Also a plus is something not power hungry.

Do you want imaging that’s better or worse than. The Sundara for less money cause you certainly have options they are just typically harder to drive

i was liking the price/value, leakage level, and power requirement of the 58x… until i read and watched that they aren’t great with imaging. i’m after imaging and not a crazy wide soundstage. i know i probably won’t find better imaging in my budget than the 880, which i have, but i’m after a different feel overall than the beyerdynamic and something i can game and roam with utlizing a btr5 or equivalent.

Edit: Still holding out for the Qudelix.

Their imaging is great just not as good as the 880. But if you want good imaging with a different feel I’m with the nighthawk boys go with that. It as good as the 880 for gaming but certainly a different feel