Open-backs for movies/immersive gaming up to $300 USD?

Audio newbie looking to expand a little. I got HD6XX’s powered with an Atom atm but I’m looking for something that’s a little more “fun” that I could use for movies and immersive single-player gaming. I don’t do competitive gaming so I don’t need to listen to footsteps. I guess I’m looking for a very wide-sounding warm/v-shaped pair of headphones.

Right now I’m looking at these pairs:

TYGR 300 R: I’d buy these but they are near impossible to find in the states. Last time I emailed support they said they should have stock in August. :confused:

X2HR: Actually used to own these a long time ago for a couple of days before I returned them because the stock pads irritated me. Maybe I should give these a second try with different pads?

K712 Pro: Would have to order these from thomann which would come up to near $300 USD I think. Kind of afraid of its long-term build quality and it seems to be the most neutral(?) of the three.

First of all, welcome to the forum!

I haven’t used the TYGR or K712, but how specifically did the X2HR pads irritate you?

Also, are there any headphones you’re not willing to consider? Might save you from getting inundated with suggestions you’ve already decided against.

First of all, welcome to the forum!

I haven’t used the TYGR or K712, but how specifically did the X2HR pads irritate you?

Also, are there any headphones you’re not willing to consider? Might save you from getting inundated with suggestions you’ve already decided against.

They were just really itchy. I could wear the HD6XX’s all day, but I remembered I could hardly wear the X2HR’s for 2 hours without wanting to take them off. I’m definitely open to suggestions since I’m still an audio newbie.

You could conceivably get the Dekoni Suedes for the X2HR, they are much softer than the stock pads, both from a padding and material standpoint. So that could be a possibility.

Personally, my upgrade from the X2HR was a set of open box Sundaras. The base open box price for them is $300, but they have all kinds of specials that run… Currently they have a $9 coupon when you spend over $200. I got mine earlier this year and they’ve been my daily drivers since then (wearing 8 hours per day+). Full disclosure I did get a set of Dekoni Elite Hybrid pads for them but that was more because I wanted them versus actually needing them…

As far as use case I’ve found them great for general listening (youtube content, occasional TV streams), music (Rock, Metal, Classical via Spotify), and gaming (Recent games include Outriders, Mechwarrior 5, Valheim, Days Gone).

1 Like

You could conceivably get the Dekoni Suedes for the X2HR, they are much softer than the stock pads, both from a padding and material standpoint. So that could be a possibility.

Personally, my upgrade from the X2HR was a set of open box Sundaras. The base open box price for them is $300, but they have all kinds of specials that run… Currently they have a $9 coupon when you spend over $200. I got mine earlier this year and they’ve been my daily drivers since then (wearing 8 hours per day+). Full disclosure I did get a set of Dekoni Elite Hybrid pads for them but that was more because I wanted them versus actually needing them…

As far as use case I’ve found them great for general listening (youtube content, occasional TV streams), music (Rock, Metal, Classical via Spotify), and gaming (Recent games include Outriders, Mechwarrior 5, Valheim, Days Gone).

Yeah I also considered hifiman planars, but from what I’ve gathered, they’re all generally neutral headphones? So like analytical, but still “fun”? Sounds intriguing… I heard the HE-X4’s are like mini-Sundaras at like 1/3 of the price so at one point I did consider getting those just to finally test out the “planar bass” but knowing me, I’m still stuck in the analysis paralysis phase lol.

Yeah, neutral vs the X2HR but still fun IMO. I’d suggest checking out the Sundara thread here, lots of input.

I’ve heard the same about the HE-X4, as well as the HE400se Stealth Magnets, though someone would have to hand me a pair to A/B to be sure. The only Hifimans I’m considering at the moment are up the ladder.

Might as well chime in since I have the K712 pro. I do find them great for soundstage, they present everything like you’re in music chamber. Some people do find they a little wonky in the vocals, but for me that’s not the case overall. They do sound better with EQ though, suggest looking at Oratory EQ profile with PEACE. Also, they are very open. External sounds are blocked by like 10% at best when you use it, and people around you can hear your music like they’re using the headphone. Not a problem for me, by important to consider for some people.

That said, I did get mine for 170€ during a trip in Italy, so my value scale is kind of skewed. These headphones also benefits from a good amp, so if you’re going with they consider this on your budget. As for durability, mine is hanging out pretty good since 2019, not much for wear and nothing broke. I’m very happy with it and don’t intend to sell them anytime soon.

2 Likes

Welcome to the forum, If you’ve got the 6XX nows a good time to go to tubes. This will increase the width and fun

S I G N I F I C A N T L Y 

It won’t be a V shaped headphone of course. But on a darkvoice with swapped tubes [Linked below] The bass is nicely boosted and T E X T U R E D , Vocals still have that mid range magic keep that warm sound. The sennheiser veil is lifted and the treble is beautifully extended without being bright. This is a fun synergy and one of the best under 1k synergies.

If you’re not interested in going the headphone route 4XX is a great companion, Tygr 300R is excellent sound and build really immersive, X2HR classic wide bass cannon lots of fun.

A comment on the below tubes; The 6A7G winged C power tube is gorgeous for vocals and awesome top end.

The 6SN7 dual triode is a low resistance extremely clear for a pre-amp tube with warmth. I personally love this combo and this is moving the Darkvoice from gooey to detailed and warm a much more neutral sounding amp.

I also hear that Dekoni finally solved the pad issue for the 6XX by making one that preserves the original sound signature but increases the comfort significantly I’d definitely recommend moving to those in addtion to the tube amp.

1 Like