Open-Back's under $200

I don’t knbow any non audiophile that would think that anything above a $100 is “budget”

Okay, thanks for all the input everybody! What I think I’ll be doing is getting either the Liquid Spark or the Atom, the D10, and the HE4XX’s, and use the ATH-M50’s for gaming until I save up for another set. On the HD58X, I would rather not have to modify anything on my headphones, besides maybe the ear pads, so that seems like a no go. Which headset would be best for gaming (FPS games, positional audio).

the 4XX is leagues better than the m50x for gaming use the he 4xx for basically everything at that point.
if you want a exclusively gaming can I would buy the dt 990 over the 58x. I have both the 58x and the 990 personally think it’s better for gaming as I find it has better imaging with a Wider soundstage and pairs super well with the liquid spark.

Alright, sounds good. Thanks for the help everybody!

1 Like

Hey guys, a little update.
I have now been through two pairs of HE4XX’s. However, due to the apparent poor build quality, I have sent them both back (In all fairness, I bought one pair from an Ebay reseller, but bought the second pair legit, fell apart in two months). I don’t know if I just don’t know my own strength, or these are just as fragile as a baby dove. Anyway, I really can’t consider these anymore, and I assume I need a headphone with more durability.

At this point, I am looking for two pairs of headphones. One specifically for competitive FPS gaming (looking at the SHP9500’s) and one specifically for music listening (no idea on this one, maybe the X2’s because I really like bass).

What would be your recommendations?
Thanks,
Goose

Well that’s pretty unfortunate that you had issues with both of the pairs you got. I guess if you want something really durable, the dt880 600 ohms are a tank (had mine for 11ish years), or the 58x is pretty durable. I think that you would pick one of these and the can do double duty really well imo (I think the 880 600 ohm is my pick here)

Those can be powered by the liquid spark, correct?
Also, not so much worried about the price anymore now that the holidays are around.

Yeah no problem, the liquid spark is a super solid amp

I can also confirm that the 58x is built very well. I want to say it is built similarly to my 600 and I’ve had that for 8 years and have had many drops and $@#%$ moments. Still going strong.
As M0N mentioned if you like some warmth as in acoustic/solo/indie music, 58x would be one of the first I’d recommend. Can’t go wrong and it checks a lot of boxes.

My 600 is like 20 yrs old and still going strong lol

2 Likes

lol, hifiman, damn

20 character

It’s a tank for sure

Wait… I precisely remember to classify your age in the 20s-30s category, lol.

It was my dads initially lol

Nice save.
20 characters – we need to change that.

I agree

20 characters

Im looking for a decent setup and have done a little research of my own like the guy above. I have also used the G430s (Have had them for a while now and want to upgrade). The headset will be predominantly used for gaming (CS GO, Vermintide 2, Fallout 4) along with music listening (Very broad with the genres I listen to but predominantly 80s & 90s Rap).

I’ve looked into purchasing either the ATH-AD700X along with a modmic, but not sure what to buy to drive them. I’ve looked at soundcards like the Nu Audio and AE-7, as well as dac amp combos like the GSX-1000. Any suggestions to changes that I could make. The entire budget would probs be around 550-600 USD.

Hmmm, what type of sound do you prefer, as in do you like a warmer or brighter sound, or if you like a more wide or intimate sound, etc

I mean I’m not a audiophile in anyway, however I would say that I’m more comfortable with warmer sounds, like low to mid.

Well, the ad700x is just the opposite of that lol, I think you might want to consider looking for something like a hd58x which is pretty nice. You are also going to use a modmic correct?

1 Like