Open-Back's under $200

Ahaha, well at least I finally decided to ask for advice. And yes probably the Modmic Uni.

I actually think you could get a focusrite Scarlett solo interface with the antlion xlr adapter for your headphones and your mic. If you wanted to, you could also get a better headphone amp and connect it to the focusrite

1 Like

Mon gives good advice, Iā€™d say listen to his wisdom.

That being said, Iā€™ve been dabbling enough now and heard enough headphones to know that ultimately your ears are the only judge. What yo like is what you like. So try to understand that first and foremost as it will help you buy one or two things in the right realm, as opposed to 6 or 7 things in the wrong one.

I will tell you that the for about 350 bucks, the HIFIMAN Sundaras have been the best all around HP that Iā€™ve listened to at that price range. Itā€™s not what I have, but if Iā€™d started on the hobby and bought that set, Iā€™d probably not have looked for ā€œbetterā€ as soon as I did.

I like warmish detail and certainly a preference for Planar, once you get that planar down spectrum slam and reach, you simply cannot live without it.

1 Like

The sundara is a great option, and I agree with the idea that your ears are the judge. That being said, for a first setup I actually wouldnā€™t recommend the sundara because they havenā€™t established their preferences and are just starting out. I wouldnā€™t suggest moving to that tier before you experience what you actually like

1 Like

So would you recommend purchasing the hd58x along with the Scarlett interface, and then later down the line upgrading by purchasing a seperate amp as well as the Sundaras?

I think that would be a pretty good idea imo. You can get something like the monolith liquid spark and connect it to the focusrite for a better amp. You could actually get that now if you wanted along with the other stuff. Then try out the 58x and see what you liked and didnā€™t like and go on from there. Also with the Scarlett you can eventually upgrade to an xlr mic in the future if you wanted to

You might stop at the 58X. Theyā€™re good. It just depends on what youā€™re looking for and how much of a need to improve or look for more.

I think in the end, the hobby just takes you to multiple sets of headphones the way car collectors have multiple types of cars.

I really do like the Scarlett idea as a gaming route.

Very true, you might just be content with the 58x and be done there (which can be a nice feeling lol)

But yo know it will never happen. The 58X are a gateway drug to hi-fi.

Thanks for the help both of you, even if I donā€™t purchase anything after 58x (Which I highly doubt considering the type of person that I Am) at least I got a product that is more likely to suit me.

I guess the 580 precision was my first headphone so it was my gateway lol so

Yeah, itā€™s a pretty good headphone and should suit you well for sure. You just want to make sure when you move to a higher end you know what to look for/what you like :+1: