Open headset for gaming/hiphop ? HD58X?

Hi, I’ve been using Bose Soundlink II for a couple years now, they’re a very comfortable and practical pair of wireless headphones but I’d love a better quality/spatial/clear sound…

Since I mostly use them at home on the computer I figured open back wired headphones might be what I need. I listen to all kinds of music but most notably hiphop, I also play a lot of competitive fps and I don’t currently own an AMP/DAC.

I’ve been looking at the Fidelio X2, HD58X, HE4XX, DT990… trying to figure which one would work for my comfort/gaming/hiphop/AMPless needs, the HD58X was the first one that picked my interest as they seem like a great brand/price/comfortable and I find them pretty, my main concern is that I don’t know if it’ll fit my music style, I’m not looking for crazy bass but I’m curious how they sound compared to what I currently own, I’ve read contradicting descriptions : warm, neutral, with bass, with not enough bass… I’m doubting my initial choice.

1 Like

So what are you really looking for in a headphone, and what aspects are important to you? And are you planning on picking up an amp/dac currently or in the future?

Personally from what you would use it for and what you describe you listen to, the 4xx might be up your alley. The 58x would also be good as well. Personally I don’t think I would recommend the X2 because I think it’s somewhat unrefined and unimpressive compared to other options (bass overkill with not really that great technicalities imo). The 990 might not really be what you are looking for, as they might be a bit extreme in the treble for what you listen to, and personally instead I would recommend the DT880 if you wanted to go that route (the ohm version would depend on your amp choice)

1 Like

I might pick up an amp/dac in the futur but for now I’d rather not have to. I’m not entirely sure what I want honestly, I don’t have much experience with headsets, I enjoy good bass but not to the point where it’s taking over the rest, I don’t really listen to like heavy metal or tech house type of music but I’ll listen to more funky techno, synth, pop, old & new hiphop, inde rock… so I’d say I like warm sound, the Bose I own are quite warm but I think being closed headphones is maybe a limiting factor ? I want to feel more surrounded by the sound might be the best way to describe it. I also want something that works well with games and competitive fps. I will try to find a store next week where I can try some headsets but I doubt I’ll find a lot of choice where I am.

In that case, I think the 58x would be for you imo. It’s a warmer signature that works well with most genre, but is still plenty open and clear, and has good soundstage and imaging for both music and gaming. Also very well built and comfy too. They can also run happily off of a phone too, unlike the 4xx. While I personally think you would be more wowed by the 4xx or perhaps something like the 880 250 or 600 ohm, it’s not really that viable without a good amp imo, so the 58x would be what I would suggest

So I guess it comes down to whether I want to invest in an amp or not. Thank you for your help, much appreciated.

Yeah, honestly I don’t think you will be disappointed with the 58x, its a great headphone at a great price :+1:

1 Like

Hey I’ve been using the Fidelio X2HR for 2 years, I got them ‘used’ from amazon(they were just an open box) for like €140 and they are really amazing, can’t recommend them enough. They are V-shaped. The bass is neither boomy nor overpowering. It’s precise and fast and biiiiiggg. Mids are a bit recessed but clear and highs are good. They are a relaxed headphone, open as fuck. If you are looking to play solo games like The witcher 3, Red Dead Redemption 2, stuff like that the fidelios won’t disappoint you. You are gonna feel like you are there, the soundstage is huge. In terms of build quality, they are second to none, you are not gonna see plastic on these headphones, they are build to last. Comfort is amazing out of the box as well, you won’t have to change pads or anything. Keep in mind I haven’t heard 58X before but from what I heard they do what the fidelios do but they are a bit more versatile, I wouldn’t know for sure though. If you can get the fidelios for around $150 I would say go for it.

1 Like

The Bose measure like such:

They are not warm, rather cold cuz of that 2k peak, and the mids are a bit recessed cuz of the 1k dip, treble is not boosted so they should sound kinda neutral and a bit dark actually cuz of the treble dip at 8k, the subbass has a small boost which will make the lowest bass notes more present.

The Sennheiser’s measure like this:

They have forward mids (notice the mids from 200hz to 3k being a bit boosted) with really good treble, and good bass but recessed in the lowest of basses 10-40hz, and an open soundstage.

1 Like

I think I read somewhere that Fidelio X2 was great for the movie experience in a game and X58 for the hearing footsteps and knowing exactly where to look competitive game experience, either seem great to be honest, the 58x seems much lighter though and a safer purchase so I’m leaning towards it… Thanks for the help.

Oh ok, it’s hard for me to describe my current headphones without anything to compare it too, thank you for the insight.

fi your running ampless 58x and fidelio are the way to go if we put gaming and hip hop on 2 sides of the spectrum if you lean closer to gaming the 58x are the way to go but if you lean closer to hip hop the fidelios are the way to go sadly my pick for in between perfectly requires an amp.

1 Like

I kinda wish I enjoyed the x2, but personally the 58x is just above it for me unless you really want lots of bass and are willing to make some sacrifices for it

Yo M0N can we get an official thread for the Superlux HD681?

Also I think I fixed them! thanks to EQ

Edit: HOLY SHIT I FIXED THEM!!! I am boutta cry bruh :cry:

1 Like

Thank youuu!!! :slight_smile:

What would your in the middle pick be and what kinda amp or dac would you need? I am in the same situation as op but was contemplating getting an amp or dac.

Pretty sure he is talking about the he4xx I believe

Nah the 880. I would want at least a liquid spark or k5 pro on them the 4xx is nice but lacks the midbass I look for in hip hop

Interesting lol, that’s also a good pick

I was just figuring in the middle of extreme v shape and something warmer to be the 4xx, but the 880 fits that too