Opinions on the GoXLR as a interface and control device

Does anyone here use the GoXLR or the mini version? Someone local to me is selling one for $150 and I’m tempted at getting it.

I am using a rackmounted Tascam 16x08 as a audio interface for several mics for a podcast I do. I want to get more into streaming though, but don’t want to mess with the settings I have on my tascam or have to keep plugging in and unplugging a microphone. I like the idea of being able to control various audio levels via real faders instead of OBS, and the use a easy to reach mute buttons is also a major plus for me as well.

For my setup, I was thinking I could use the 1/4 TRS outputs on the back of my Tascam and run them into the GoXLR either by the XLR or Line in ports. I am using a Rode Procaster and have the tascam applying compression and some mild equalizer to the signal, would those changes be retained by the signal going into the GoXLR while letting my get the benefit of the controls?

Both a MIDI-Controller to control virtual knobs or a 150€ mixer are going to be better than the GoXLR.

I have a Yamaha AG03 and a Lewitt LCT 140 Air for my secondary setup. I find the AG03 a bit limiting for more than basic “mic-in, mix out” usage, is nice and compact though.
For roughly the same price, the Soundcraft Notepad 5 looks to be more flexible, except when you need headset I/O.

The mini is a noise generator. Tons of noise and no way to get rid of it. No idea about the full size but the mini is horrible.

1 Like

Im wondering if you maybe have a problem with your USB ports in your system? I have the full size Goxlr, the Mini as well as an SMSL M200 DAC and notice no noise on any of them.

I created a test setup to test, if the GoXLR Minis DAC somehow performs worse:

• Source was either Tidal HiFi Quality or MusicBee Flac
  • I used the Douk U2 Pro coaxial output and connected it with the SMSL M200.
  • I used the Douk U2 Pro optical output and connected it with the optical input of the goxlr.
    -As AMP I used the SMSL SP200. It was connected over xlr to the SMSL M200 and over its chinch input with the Goxlr Minis heapdhone output.
    -I put the volume of the GoXlrs headphone output to 87%, to match it with the volume of the DAC.

This allowed me to instantly switch between the sources with the XLR-RCA switch of the AMP.

To make sure the Douk U2 Pro had no influence on the goxlr i also tried a different setup, in which i used Voicemeeter to split the audio. One output went into the music channel of the goxlr directly and the other one to the douk u2 over asio, which was connected with the M200 DAC.

I tested it with different headphones, but i mostly used the DT1990s.

In both setups i couldnt hear a difference. The M200 DAC and the GoXLR mini sounded exactly the same.

I also connected the headphone output of the goxlr mini directly to the headphones, to test if the amp makes a difference. Here I could hear a difference, the SP200 sounded clearer than the GoXLR minis headphone output. I still wouldnt call the GoXLR Minis headphone amp noisy tho, it works fine, it just doesnt sound as good as a proper amp. Also keep in mind, that i had to unplug the headphone between the devices, so the heard difference could also just be placebo/or inproper volume matching.

Another interesting difference between the GoXLR and GoXLR Mini if found was, that the GoXLR Mini doesnt accept a 44,1kHz optical signal, while the GoXLR has no problem with it.

Make a recording in Audacity for example slowly increasing the gain on the GoXLR without a microphone connected.
When done, rightclick the track-control section and select spectrogram (or multi-view). It will probably look like this:
Ideally, it would be an entirely blank area. That is where noise is an issue, not the output.

Oh you mean the noise of the Mic preamp? I cant really comment on that, but i think that shouldnt apply for the line in port? I guess either way its fine for live streaming, its not like any of the viewers would notice a difference anyway.

I think Pokrog did also mean outputs as well, so i just wanted to post my expierence, that they work perfectly fine for me.

1 Like

Since most streamers (as in: the users) are not good with audio anyway, “okay” hardware is good enough. Fair point :wink:

The price segment is mostly okay stuff, no matter the company behind it. Except PreSonus, they make craptastic software&drivers all the time.

If you’re going to be streaming you’re going to benefit from the specialized software of the GoXLR more than having a slightly better noise floor. If your mic needs a lot of gain, get a mic booster like the Klark Teknik CT1. Cloudlifters are extremely overpriced.
Also consider the Elgato Wave XLR.