Optical Insanity

I have these Edifier R1850DB connected to a Monoprice 60-Watt Powered Subwoofer - 8 Inch via the sub out. The Edifiers are connected to a Creative X3 via optical and my question is, what is the max bit/HZ I can send the speakers? The X3 is rated at Playback Resolution (Optical Out): PCM 16/24-bit / 48.0, 96.0, 192.0 kHz and the Edifiers state in the manual that only PCM signals with 44.1/48hz can be decoded via optical in. Does that mean the max I can send it is 24bit 48HZ via optical?

Thanks

You can try the higher bitrates and see if they play sound. If not, they don’t support it.

You have to stop if either: they ignite on fire, or they transport you across the time/space continuum. Gotta be careful.

1 Like

I am assuming the HZ would need to stay at 48 though right? I have tried different combos and sometimes i get some popping.

Man last time I tried 384khz on a 192 DAC I got transported to an alien world back in 1246 bc and boy did it take me a while tog et back! Gotta be really careful.

Nah seriously. Depends on the DAC; some won’t play, some will sound odd, other’s can downsample it themselves and play perfectly. Try and see. no fire or space-time continuum usually occurs.

1 Like