Hey there, I have been given free reign to set up sound for our TV area. Budget around $800 (rough conversion from Danish kroner).
Our house has a merged living room/dining room/kitchen 12 x 5,6 meters (39x18 feet) so I imagine the speakers need to have some punch to sound full bodied. The TV hangs on the long wall in one end of this room.
I try to stick with bookshelves rather than floor standers for the flexible placement (On TV bench or stands if I need more distance between them). I will probably augment with a subwoofer later.
Important to me:
- Large sweet spot so most of the sofa is covered decently.
- Good imaging.
- Good bass/upper bass as I love it when the bass guitar is treated with dignity in the mix.
- Good clarity but not harsh treble. I have a studio monitor setup for analytical listening. This set will be for easy listening and movie/TV watching.
- Decent design for WAF (I’m afraid SVS Ultra and such are ruled out here).
- Might be nice to have a decent center channel option.
I’m currently deciding between Q Acoustics 3030i for $300 and Wharfedale Diamond 12.2 for $280 (approximate conversion to USD. I’m in Denmark). The former seems to have everything I’m looking for while the latter just seems to be a better speaker but it’s hard to know if the sweet spot is as wide as on the 3030i. There’s a lot less info on the Diamond compared to the 3030. I can also get q3050i for $400 but it seems those need expensive amplification to work decently (Muddy bass on cheap equipment). I’m also open to suggestions.
For amplification I’m looking at the Yamaha RX-V4A ($390, 80 watts/channel) and RX-V6A ($550, 100 watts).
- I like the idea of using our phones to stream from Spotify.
- I think I need ARC/eARC to control the volume directly with the TV remote (WAF requirement).
Would I gain anything from the extra 20 watts? I might add a center channel.
I’m off to work I’d love some thoughts on this setup.