šŸ”¶ Philips SHP9500

hd820?

10 characters

Probably sounds just as good lol

3 Likes

The joke was in the ā€œ1Moreā€ phrase.

Yes I know

Sound wise i dont know if it will sound good. But purely looks wise. They look amazing. Will buy them and mod them just for the look lol

These still impress me. After using technically superior headphones like the dt1990 for a while and then going back to these and the sound is still very good is a testament to how good of a value these are. Definitely like them way more with the zmf pads.

They actually sound very similar to the dt1990 w/ a pads. Thereā€™s a tad bit more bass, slightly more forward in the upper mids but makes it a bit more shouty which I donā€™t like personally. Treble quantity is about same but the shps more out in front presentation makes stuff like cymbals more noticeable. It never sounded grainy. Music with heavy bass never get distorted. The dt1990 in fact can distort if you really push the drivers hard. Run the Jewels- Call Ticketron is what I play to test this. This song will really push the drivers limits. The shps never distort with this track. The dt1990 do distort but only at near ear bleeding levels of volume so itā€™s not really a big deal.

This was my first good headphone that stuck with me for so long which could be effecting my perception of them. But itā€™s made me sell a lot of headphones in the past because I much prefer these. I do love my dt1990 but not for close to $500 more. The Shps with the zmf uni perf suedes are something special.

4 Likes

So, I did this Modhouse mod. But I added small magnets to the backs of the drivers before closing them up.

They sound surreal. The macro dynamics and separation Iā€™m positive punch high above the price class. The resolution is the same. But they basically take on a bass light W FR and sound freakin amazing. EQ up the bass and itā€™s tight, extends well enough for impactful kick drums, sounds phenomenal with rock.

Iā€™m really curious to know if anyone here is willing to take me up on a challenge and mod their SHPs like I did to confirm if these sound as good as I think they do. I can share instructions for all the changes I made if anyone is up for it. I think the magnets plus the bisected tennis ball back covers from Modhouse are the magic combo.

I havenā€™t heard much high end gear, so Iā€™d need someone who has to give this a shot. Or give me an address and Iā€™ll try to create another pair and ship it to you. No way am I giving up mine these will be my daily driver for a long long time :blush:

1 Like

Hey guys, so I wanna set up a shp9500 into a gaming headset for a buddy but I wasnā€™t sure what pad combinations to go with. Snagged at shp9500 for $50 and placing an order from modhouse to just get 3d printed circular rings for it. Already have the v-moda and everything. Never actually bothered with modifications to a shp9500 so could use some recommendations. Concerned I may turn it sibilant since its a brighter headphone. Pancake pads are not acceptable

1 Like

Brainwavz hybrid ovals work perfectly. Similar sound sig to the T1. Dekoni beyer hybrids also work and sound about the same. I assume the round non xl hybrids from brainwavz would also work

Shure 1840, 1540, and 840 pads works as well. I also find at least the Shure pads gives a bit more clamping force.

Any other pads that work well like that outside of the hybrids?

Too thin for tastes

The ZMF universe suede perf and solid pads also work. The perf have a more neutral bright signature like the dt880 and the solid suedes have a more v shaped sound sig. Thatā€™s the extent of pads Iā€™ve tried

Itā€™s oddā€¦ Maybe I should buy more suedes more often ā€¦ seems to bring out a V signature in quite a few headphones meanwhile Velour is good at really brightening up headphones. Just seems like suede are a very happy balanced medium for signatures in my headphone preferences. Think I need to perhaps look into zmf vegan suedes or something

Since itā€™s for gaming though, and since zmf pads are expensive, you think the Brainwavz suedes or like their gaming gel suede would have close to the same effect at all if I were to buy the Oval rings instead?

1 Like

Yes the Brainwavz oval suedes have a similar effect to the uni solid suedes but its a bit boomier in the bass. For some reason the ZMF universe pads tighten everything up compared to some other pads.

Any Hybrid pads from Brainwavz will work though.

1 Like

Ah awesome thats great to know! I will switch them over to the brainwavz then. Grab a pair of velour for less bassa and suedes for the V so good for competitive and casual sense. Thanks man! Helped me big. The headphone is for my little nephew hes my little buddy anymore. Wrote what happened to cause me to pick up the shp9500 over in the rant thread with the damn hyperx flight. Still, This is the first time I actually sat down with the shp9500 I have to say I am thoroughly impressed at $50 this headphone is really incredibleā€¦

By chance though, for myself do you have any information on the Vegan Universal ZMF pads? Saw them and man they look comfortable as hell and thought perhaps they would be good for some of my headphones if they will fit.

1 Like

This is why Iā€™ll never get rid of them. No need for EQ just pad swap and get your preferred sound signature

What exactly do you want to know about them?

No kidding, I may actually pick up my own copy of these at this point. Versatile and comfortable at an extremely cheap price I can enjoy.

They are vegan so I assume they are micro suede in that case. Sound changes in particular would be nice to know as well as differences in softness. If you read my posts you know that I personally am not a big fan of suede at all. It has to be relatively smooth and plush or I find discomfort due to my ridiculous sized ears that point out a bit. Though I saw the microsuede and thought ya know I never did try that style of suede and its said to be softer material wise so maybe it would work in my favor? Plus itā€™s zmf which all I hear about is they are some of the better pads.

1 Like

Both the Brainwavz and zmf suedes are extremely soft. I prefer it over velour or any cloth material. The ZMF have a slightly softer memory foam. You get what you pay for when it comes to pads. Some of my brainwavz pads that seen use are falling apart while my zmf pads which have seen more use are intact, not all compressed or deformed, not ripping on the threads.

For sound changes generally they tend to make a headphone more warm or v shaped. The perforated variants will have a more neutral sound but not all headphones react the same. For example, the Sundaras get slightly more warm with the uni perf suedes. The shp9500 with the uni perf suedes have a more complete version of the stock sound sig (better bass extension, not so sharp highs).

Itā€™s all about experimenting with what works right but in this hobby, sometimes, it can get expensive.

hmm, by chance do you think the oval brainwavz gel pads will fit on the circular 3d printed ring from modhouse? I have had a few headphones that can fit more oval shaped pads like my beyers despite being circular

Itā€™s possible but will be difficult to do. Youā€™ll risk ripping them.