Philips X2HR vs Sennheiser HD 58x with Fiio K5 pro

Magni 3+ is 135€ in europe + shipping but it’s currently out of stock and it doesn’t have a date for restock. The modi is 135€ as well and out of stock as well. The topping d10 is 70$ from drop with shipping to Italy (I don’t know how long it takes). What would you do?

I think the fidelio at 160€ are a better deal than the k712 at 233 (I can’t find them cheaper)

Thanks

hard to say what I would do… so if we are running form fidelios which are somewhat easy to drive you could go amp/dac less and wait for it to go in stock and the topping d10 would take 2 months to get to you knowing DROP. so if you want everything now the k5 pro is a good option sure overpriced but your paying to have something now.

I have this right now
(https://www.amazon.it/Convertitore-Regolabile-Adattatore-Alluminio-Analogico/dp/B06XHRYW2C/ref=sr_1_4?__mk_it_IT=ÅMÅŽÕÑ&dchild=1&keywords=prozor+dac+amp&qid=1587851760&sr=8-4)
Not good at all but you can tell from the price, I have to cover it with a book otherwise it get’s noise interference from the wifi or the phone lol.
But if you tell me that it’s worth to wait, I could wait two months.

You’d go topping d10 + magni 3+? (200-220 € total)

that would be a great combo especially with the akg k712 but the fidelio you really dont need to spend that much as I usually say spend more on your headphones than your source gear.

If you think that the k712 are objectevily better than the fidelio I can get them, I can pay more if it’s worth for what I’d use them for.
What other options do I have for dac and amp since you are saying that d10+magni is overkill?

for the fidelio maybe a fiio k3 should be much cheaper then the k5 pro but if iits anywhere near the cost of a k5 pro I would get the k5pro instead. maybe the ifi zen DAC could work as well

Fiio k3 is 100€,
ifi zen dac is 150€ (what’s the difference between the balanced and unbalanced output?)

Should I go for the k712 over the fidelio?

Thanks

the k3 for a 100 euros isnt bad I would go for that personally for the fidelio. the zen dac for that price I would go k5 pro instead just for the extra power
balanced usually means a different cable requirements usally a cable coming out of each driver . and usually has a different plug. balanced is noice cause you can have more power many claim for it to do other things like wider soundstage but from my experience you just generally get more power.

I think the akg k712 in general is just a better headphone in terms of it’s capabilies much better detail retention better imaging and slightly wider sounding soundstage . and a more neutral less bassy sound signature that lends itself as a better all rounder headphone. fpr this headphone I would maybe wait for everything to back instock and graba d10 as well or get a k5 pro eiother one should work great even though the k5 pro is a bit more expensive than I like your paying to have something now and it still sounds great at the end of the day

Yeah I think the 712 is a good medium between it all. The 58x is great I think I’m it’s sound sig but the soundstage isn’t great. But yeah the 712 probably wants the most power fed into it of all of them.

Thank you for your opinion as well, I think I’ll get the K712 then.

What’s the difference between the k712 pro and the k7xx?

I’m writing an email to Schiit europe to ask if they have any idea when the magni 3+ will be back in stock since it just says out of stock in their website. If it isn’t much I’m getting a magni 3+ and topping d10. If it’s way too much I don’t know, probably the fioo k5 pro.

Any suggestions for the cables from the dac to the amp? What’s usually a good price for them? thanks

Amazon basics rca cables should be fine

The k7xx is going to be a little bit warmer overall. Little bit more bass and you’ll lose a little bit of the detail in the higher end. But not overly so. They’re pretty close to each other. I’d say go for whichever you can find for a better price.

I much prefer the sound of the 712 much more refined and natural. The 7xx sounds closer to the cheaper 702 imo

But I don’t have the best hearing out there and haven’t really heard the 7xx for a while so take this one with a grain of salt

I personally dont believe the K7XX sounds like the K701/K702 at all…those have no bass and some rough treble.

Honestly, the K7XX sound like a K712 without the wider soundstage of the the K712… with a bass boost and a treble shelf…which eliminates a lot of the detail and makes it sound odd at times.

2 Likes

233 for the k712 but I get them now, 200 (more or less) for the k7xx but from drop that has to ship to Europe so I’ll have to wait a bit. Either way I’m improving over my Sennheiser momentum (cllosed back), right?

1 Like

I’d say either way it’s an upgrade yeah. But if the difference is that small and you can get them quicker, then I’d go with the 712s for the closer to neutral sound and wider stage. And more detail.

1 Like

Just to be clear, how much better would the DT1990 pro at 439€ over the k712 pro at 233€? Is the 200€ more really worth it? Thanks

when it come to micro details and and soundstage and imaging performance the 1990 is much better worth is in the ear of the listener though.

That’s a great quote! Am I a worthy listener? I really don’t know. I might get the k712 pro and the dt 1990 pro in the future if I really get into the audiophile mindset. Do you agree?
And as always I’m really thankful for your help, if you have a youtube channel or twitter or whatever you want me to follow you, I’ll gladly do it :slight_smile: