Pi2aes Source install and other thoughts

Yes.
At least as far as I understand.
I have one with volumio connected to a Bifrost 2 via USB.
I use a network share, but Volumio lets you use local content on the Pi.

1 Like

S50 ā€œproā€ is now in stock on the Arylic website. Now with a fancy screen! It has few other upgrades too.

Okay guys, got this thing built and power up. I got Volumio installed on it first. Iā€™m in the configuration screen, step 2 and have to pic an output. Little confused now as the Pi2AES isnā€™t on the DAC list, I guess because itā€™s not a DAC, itā€™s a DDC. So do I pick no DAC and i2s Audio out?

EDIT: Another question, whatā€™s the preferred storage to attach?

Since itā€™s local and Iā€™m only using it as a music library storage speeds isnā€™t as important as longevity, low power consumption and least amount of electrical noise. Iā€™m going to go research this question myself as itā€™s the first time Iā€™ve thought to ask it and it may be irrelevant or there may be valid reasons to for one over the other.

Re: the output, just pick any and it should work.

Re: storage attachment you can just plug in a USB drive. I run Audirvana on a Mac Mini where all my music is stored. Audirvana can use UPnP to stream directly to Volumio. Cool thing about this is I can have multiple Pi2AES connected to different systems at home and choose which to stream to. The weird thing in this particular case was that Volumio output selection can freeze Audirvana for some reason. I had to try a few different DAC choices to get one that works.

Per 7.1 in the Pi2aes manual if Pi2aes driver isnā€™t available

Note that for standard Audio Player software, the PI2AES can use the HifiBerry Digi+ Pro driver.

1 Like

HA! In other words, RTFM. Thanks.

I may get to the point where I try Audiorvana because it seems to have a pretty spotless rep. Right now I just got the Pi2AES to fiddle around with things and see if I am leaving audio quality on the table in my stereo system over the ELAC Discovery Server Iā€™m using now. This seemed like a cheap way to fiddle around. I may ultimately wind up with just the Pi connected to a reclocker via USB but right now Iā€™m trying to take things out from the chain to see if thereā€™s improvement.

Doing some research online, of course thereā€™s nothing but arguments as to the benefits over the various storage media and how timing is critical, jitter, blah, blah. Just realized that in the end itā€™s the Pi thatā€™s doing the conversion and sending it out so youā€™re always going to share the same bus speed the processor and the memory for the Pi use.

For now I may just get an inexpensive 2.5" SSD drive with a USB adapter. The Pi 3 B+ I got is USB 2.0 anyway.

1 Like

The pi2aes has itā€™s own pair of clocks, one is a multiple of 44.1 and the other is a multiple of 48K, those clocks latch the AES/SPDIF signals.
If anything the value of the Pi2AES is the relative quality of those clocks for the price point.

2 Likes

Thatā€™s what I was hoping, Iā€™m going to play with it as is not sure whether Iā€™ll ultimately use it for my desktop just to get the library and USB out away from my PC or whether Iā€™ll use it to replace my Elac Discovery streamer. Iā€™ve got options now and this is a cheap way to fool around and try things out.

Out of Curiosity, are people signing on to the MyVolumio monthly service? Iā€™d like to check out the Tidal player capability if this indeed turns out to be a noticeable improvement over the PC.

Most folks I talk to are using it with Roon \ HQPlayer. My distribution of choice for the Pi2aes is the DietPi Allo gui. If you decide to test it out you use the Allo Digione driver on that one.

1 Like

I did for a while before I got Roon.
Itā€™s required for Qobuz support, itā€™s not the greatest Qobuz interface ever, pretty basic, with itā€™s share of bugs, but it does work, and if I hadnā€™t gotten Roon Iā€™d still use it.

1 Like

Looking at the pricing, itā€™s not that much more to just pay for a Roon monthly subscription. I do enjoy the Roon experience.

Not I. Audirvana runs both Tidal and Qobuz natively so it basically does all I need. Plus streams to Volumio. Iā€™ll likely end up with 3 Pi2AES boxes and just stream to whichever system Iā€™m using.

I couldnā€™t use Tidal for more than 3 days because it sounds like crap to me. Everything is MQA and whatever theyā€™re doing is no bueno.

The way I see it, Spotify has the greatest selection and discovery/suggestions, Qobuz has the best sound quality, Tidal has the best nothing. Havenā€™t and wonā€™t bother with Amazonā€™s service.

Okay everything is configured butā€¦ I canā€™t get any sound.

Iā€™ve got the Pi2AES feeding my DAC via Digital COAX. If I use the browser on my PC to play a song using Volumio, I am not getting sound. Thereā€™s really no audio driver on the PC so what do I set my Windows 10 box as far as audio out.

Are you getting audio if you use Volumio to stream from a file share/local file?
I donā€™t think by default you can just use it as a USB audio device, itā€™s not something Iā€™ve ever tried.

You have a couple of options for sending audio from the PC wirelessly, either DLNA or Apple airplay.
Both have to be enabled in volumio, and I think DLNA support is a plugin.
They both require software support or something like ā€œStream what you hearā€.

In case itā€™s useful here are my playback options

2 Likes

I got it now, just being stupid. Somehow Iā€™d blown away the DAC config. Itā€™s good now.

So basically I can just throw any DAC on the PC now for windows sounds. I guess I could also just use the existing DAC but then Iā€™d have to switch inputs to get windows sounds or music depending on what Iā€™m doing.

Thanks for listening to me rambling and thinking out loud here guys. Initial impression is that itā€™s not as good as a dedicated reclocker, but definitely a step up from the Discovery streamer.

Iā€™ll dig a little into the settings now with what you shared @Polygonhell thanks!

2 Likes

Thatā€™s pretty much what I do, I run USB from the PC to the DAC and run the PI2AES to the AES input on the DAC, if I want to game with that DAC, I select the USB input on the DAC, and select that as the output in windows.
If Iā€™m listening to music I run it from roon, and leave the DAC on the AES input.

1 Like

This little fucker is actually pretty good.

5 Likes

We brought in another one :grin:

Yeah itā€™s a killer little box.

I switched from Volumio to RoPieee. There was nothing wrong with Volumio but couple of things bothered me.

1. Volumio didnā€™t have a native driver in their dropdown for the Pi2AES. This added absolutely nothing in terms of performance difference but you know, OCD.

2. Since Iā€™m using Roon and only using the Pi2AES as a network bridge, I didnā€™t think there was any point for me to have the Volumio player portion of the SW up and running, maybe taking up CPU cycles? Donā€™t know but why have it running if Iā€™m not using it. Figuring the RoPieee is a lighter bridge endpoint so why not.

Thatā€™s it, from an installation standpoint and just ease of getting it up, Volumio is much easier. Also RoPieee took forever during the initial install, more forever after configuration and reboot, more forever after an update that was ready. About 3 hours start to finish, Volumio was up and running in a half hour.

Anyway, since I have the SD card already set up, figuring on it being an easy thing to switch back if I wanted.

1 Like