Planar hybrids?

I was bored at work and started thinking about IEMs… are there any planar + DD or planar + estat IEMs? DD + BA is so common, but havent heard about many IEMs that would combine planar driver with something else. Is that even possible or would there be some issues with the crossover?

Surprise me D:

1 Like

This is becoming more popular for iems actually. There are quite a few planar or estat + dynamic driver or balanced armature (Shuoer Tapes, RHA CL2, etc.).

I’m of the opinion that it is rare to find a hybrid iem that sounds tonally balanced however. I expect this to change when newer technology advances further down the road

Found this in ali :smiley:

DD bass + Planar mids + estat highs would be interesting. Tired of seeing “enter random number” amount of BAs thrown everywhere :smiley:

3 Likes

With the size of the drivers I wonder if it is using the planer driver for,bass and dynamic for mids… A BA in the nozzle is a semi warning for me tho. Can be harsher sounding that way.

It should be Bass - 5mm dynamic driver, Mids - 10mm planar magnetic driver, Treble - BA driver

Also interesting is that now its “Pro” version with improved bass and also option to get a different cable right away. Previously in reviews it was said that its too bright. I guess that should address those issues :stuck_out_tongue: Price is tempting, maybe should order for lulz :smiley:

1 Like

Tri i3 is Planar + DD + BA. At around 140 USD

Those look interesting

1 Like

They’re quite nice. Is one of the most used of my sets. You’ll find lots of info in headfi’s Tri i3 and i4 thread.