Planars: HE4XX vs M560?

So I’m looking to get a pair of open backs under $200. Currently using HD58X and I feel like I want to try some planars and a wider sound stage sound. Maybe I’m weird but the HD58X vocals feel a bit too close to my head? Thats how i would describe it.

How does the M560($180) stack to the 4XX ($130) ?

the 4xx is better than the m560. while it does have a wider soundstage it present vocals very vlose but not as close as the 58x. just due to distance from your ears to the driver. so the orange is how far thing can sound but also how close sounds sound in relation to your ears.
here is the best way to describe is by visualizing what I mean

notice how there is a bit of white in between in the left and right of the head thats a difference.

what I would suggest is find something abit more v shaped maybe the dt 880 instead if how close vocalsfeel bother you . but the 4xx is definitely a good pick too

1 Like

I think the 4xx is plenty wide and I don’t think you can really go wrong with them. Highly recommend the 4xx

2 Likes

It’s how the mids or vocals are presented I find are somewhat intimate compared to the rest of the frequencies.

1 Like

I know the 4XX - I have one. Easy to drive from a DAP. It’s not an audiophile can, it’s on the “fun” side. It doesn’t have a lot of lower bass. It has extra mid-bass and upper-bass that passes as bass for most. I use it as my mobile can - hikes, working in the garden - that sort of thing. It’s pretty rugged. I find sometimes the treble can be a bit aggressive. I’ve tried mods that didn’t work so much: SE -> XLR, different cable. I found mods that did work: Dynamat on the inside edge of the outward facing part of the can under the screen (tames down a lot of vibrations in bass, but also bass is lower in the mix (good for me). I also found taking off the rear screen and changing pads added width and depth, but not a big amount, a decent amount. I used MrSpeakers Ether Angled which are pricey, someone might suggest a cheaper alternate if you like.

If you go used you might be able to find a Sundara for not much over $200, which is better IMO.

1 Like

Something to note though is that the sundara is a more intimate headphone while the 4xx is somewhat wider sounding (as Ai_Ai seems to be looking for something on the wider side of things). But otherwise I think the sundara is more impressive technicality wise with a more bright neutral signature

1 Like

hmm thats funny. i though the sundara had a wide soundstage since it was airy

1 Like

Airy typically means it has prominent high treble, and it sometimes means it sounds very open and gives space to some tracks. It doesn’t necessarily equal soundstage width

2 Likes

How does the 880 sound ? Haven’t researched much of them yet.

Sundara is probably gonna be out of my price range for now, especially since im going to need an Amp on yop of that. Are the Sundaras and the m1060 on like the same tier ?

in the biudget beyer dynamic line they are the most neutral. but very fun detailed headphones. they really dont miss out much thit has decent bass, sort of recessed mids but not tooofar and brighter more detailed highs.since you haqve the 58x, the 880 has a wider soundstage and slightly better imaging. the mids are more pulled back in favor ofor a bit more midbass and more detailed accentuated treble. but not to the point where sibilance should be an issue but might still be an issue if you are treble sensitive.

1 Like

I think the sundaras are better than the m1060 imo. I also don’t think they need an amp that badly

1 Like

Which 880 are you referring too since there’s like a couple different versions and at different ohms?

hmmm, gonna have to do more research then. Maybe its best to save up for more “higher end” cans around the $200-$300 range.

It really depends on what you are looking for as well. The sundara is great but if you do buy it I would suggest getting it from somewhere with free returns if you don’t like them

1 Like

They are all tuned similarly but I would reccomend going for the 250 and 600 ohm versions and the premiums cause they are more comfortable

1 Like

to be honest the m560 was probably the worst purchase i ever made. returned them in less than 12 hours. the clamp was insane and the quality was not.
i would literally rather have this m560 than the monolith. there is a lot of love for the monolith so i know im the odd one out, but that is just my opinion.

1 Like

Nah, the m560 really wasn’t well received, and neither was the m1060 after the hype died down. People just kinda don’t like to acknowledge they got caught up in the hype and made a poor purchase lol. The m570 and m1570 are actually worth their salt imo and aren’t a bad choice imo. The old monoprice is not that great tho as you say

1 Like

m1060’s look fuckin awesome lol still to this day.
but i agree

1 Like

Good point, will take note of returns.