Planars - Where to draw the line?

I still think the best sub bass in my collection is a planar, the HE400se. They are fast, have rumble, but not the impact of a DD. My only gripe is that the new Hifiman headband is horribly uncomfortable, and only good for one album at a time, at least for me ( head shape matters with it ).

I am seriously looking at the 7HZ Timeless as a good all around planar solution.

2 Likes

Thanks for all of the input. So it sounds like I shouldn’t necessarily limit myself to a planar. I think I was confusing planar speed for bass control and bass impact, which isn’t necessarily exclusive to planars.

With this in mind, I think I can reduce it down to what I’m after: a fun, over-ear headphone with good bass control, good bass impact and good sound stage.

I’d also like to put it out there that if anyone has anything matching this description for sale, please PM me. I need more than just my 560s!

1 Like

ZMF Eikons.

For what you’re looking for, the Eikons are amazing.

Maybe look into the E-MU Teak. It’s basically a fostex TR-X00 so it has great bass and impact and the soundstage is pretty good. I would say it’s a bit more intimate (not too much so) but very deep. You may want to swap pads since the stock pads are a bit small (I recommend ZMF Ori cowhide pads) but you may like the sound even better after the pad swap.

I would agree with with Elex’s or the Cascades, if you need closed back.

You can already choose a planar headphone if you want, there’s nothing in the way.

Just be aware of what I wrote above.
That you have good prerequisites to be able to use them sensibly.

If you take a small hybrid amplifier like the cheapest Xudoo Mt 02 and play with the tubes to your needs, a lot would be done.

You can always invest in an upgrade on the amplifier side later.

If you want something better than the Hd 560 and it should be planar and upgrade, then the Aeon R/T closed.
I’ve never heard Guano Apes so well with these headphones and really enjoyed them, as well as other bands that share this style of music.
I even listened roughly to small blues pieces and found it really wow.

I still have the Lcd 2 C here and it’s mostly hard to say which one is really good.
They both do a lot of things right.
What the other can do, the other can’t do as well and vice versa.

Apart from that, many people have a problem with the Lcd2C because of its weight, which tends to be more for relaxing with the right sitting posture.

The R/T is lighter and offers a little more comfort in terms of freedom of movement.

Since you’ve been thinking about the Lcd2c, my suggestion is if you’re stretching your budget.
R/T with an amplifier if you don’t have one.
The R/T would also sell well if you don’t like it, it is in demand in Europe and sells better than the Aeon 2 on the second hand market.

The Emu is certainly not wrong, but it also comes with customs costs.
Otherwise Beyerdynamic has brought out two new models Dt700 and Dt900 pro which could possibly still be good. one waits still for Review’s concerning this.

Beats every over ear planar I have tried. Because none of them have that tonality. Just do it if you want fun from a planar.

2 Likes

I have an SU-8 paired with a Singxer SA-1 and also an Aune X8 and X7s stack, so I have that covered.

I’ve got DT880 600 Ohm and DT990 600 Ohm too but I’m looking to balance mod them so, in my mind, I haven’t really heard these cans yet.

I will have a look at all the other headphones I have been recommended here so keep them coming, guys!

Not too pricey either! Curious.

Hi there,
So when you have the Singxer Sa1 there is enough power for planar headphones to operate.
There is nothing against trying the Sundara.

The Dt700 and Dt900 Pro X is a new release that Beyerdynamic released recently.
Look here:

The same is available in the 990 variant.

Spontaneously I think of the Sendy Aiva as planar headphones that are still cheap.
Sometimes the Quad Era is still available cheaply.
This shouldn’t be bad either, costs a little more

And the one here as a dynamic driver should have a look at the Z review video.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/linsoul/harmonicdyne-poseidon-beryllium-killer-headphones?ref=bcljpr
There is also a Zeus from the same manufacturer that is also popular.

Allegedly there are occasional quality issues with Gold Planar and Harmonicdyne.
Please check the Forum here of Rewievs from many User who have buy it before you buy one when you are interested.:v:

1 Like

There is a very long thread about it on here. Go take a read.

But, your clean slam: a good DD. Everyone has their favorite. Take a look at the ones recommended and try one. :slight_smile:

1 Like

there is no line…you must buy / have one of everything. :wink:

5 Likes

I haven’t seen a budget listed in here, but it’s a long thread and I may have missed it. Based on your source I agree with those saying check out something with Fostex biodynamic drivers in them (Teaks, X00, TH610, or TH900/909 if you’re OK spending more). The drawback is the biodyna drivers can get sharp in the treble at times.

Another company that will punch/slam the senses out of your noggin at times is Focal. They’re tunings can get wonky, often being midforward in different but odd ways. That can help with drums but to my ear makes vocals shouty and nasally at times. One exception is the Radiance. It has the best tonality in the Focal line I’ve heard so far, and has a fun bass shelf go with it.

The Hifiman He6, as some have pointed out, is also a very physical headphone and is planar. You need an amp that can deliver power very quickly, though, and that’s where amps with shiny looking power specs often fall short. I’d only look at one of these if you’re also on board with upping your amp game.

Don’t overlook a used LCD-2 prefazor, if you find one. They kinda introduced the idea of “planar bass” to the masses. Their not as slammy as Fostex or Focals, but are no slouched. They have pretty linear extension down through the subbass too (which is what planar bass usually means). They also have lush timbre and sound great with drums, at least I think they do. Good luck!

5 Likes

This thing is supposedly a hard slammer, although its some kind of diy frankenstein set:

Another review:

Post in thread ‘Precog’s IEM Reviews & Impressions’ Precog's IEM Reviews & Impressions | Page 107 | Headphone Reviews and Discussion - Head-Fi.org

1 Like

I appreciated the robust response. My budget was sub £500 (if my requirements could be met). I’m in the U.K. too which does seem to limit availability of many of the headphones discussed.

I’ll have a look at all of these recommendations. Hadn’t really considered Fostex past a T50 mod. There’s something about the look of Focals that I don’t like. I wouldn’t let that stop me from buying a set if they were right though. However, things like HE6, HE500 and LCD-2 repeatedly come into focus when I’ve been digging around the internet. LCD-2 and LCD-X should be top of my list from what I’ve read but I couldn’t think of spending that kind of money on headphones without exhausting lower-cost allegedly comparable options, such as M1570. Seems like most of the headphones recommended on this thread sit between £700-£1000; maybe I should get the hint and start saving my pennies!

1 Like

It’s a magic price point. I felt the lcd-xc was a better headphone than the he6 given the drivability challenges of he6sev2. An XC ended up being cheaper for the full package. It slammed more for me and had a more engaging sound out of the box. But, still, hp-2 out slams them.

Anywho, the important thing is to go try something. And find out for yourself what you like.

1 Like

Another cheaper option might be the audio quest nighthawk or nighthawk carbon (I haven’t personally heard these but many on this forum have). They are only available used but are around $200-$300 when they pop up for sale. They are a biodynamic like the fostex stuff but a darker and warmer overall sound. Some people really hate the tuning but others love them so much they will never sell them.

Hopefully someone from the #NighthawkGang can give you more info

3 Likes

Agreed the nighthawks are what I would suggest as an owner. They are dark and warm but all the detail is there. The next that has that planar slam in a decent range would be the LCD2CB. They have great detail, sound stage, biggest I’ve heard for a closed back, and you can find them under $1k. Also If you use any eq kind of eq they take it like a champ. The 3rd par I’d recommend is Aeon RTs but they aren’t as fun/dynamic as the other two recommended.
Hope you find exactly what you are looking for but IMO you’ll have to reach deeper into the piggy bank to get everything you really want.

Oh one more thing LCDX trumps all suggestions IMHO. I love mine on my singxer.

1 Like

Totally agree with this part!!
:>)

1 Like

For me the line was north of the Rad O…D8000 Pro and Abyss land, and yes a Susvara as well.
For all three the line was at the D8000 Pro door…done with planars for a long while.
I hope!!
lol

It never stops!

3 Likes