Planars - Where to draw the line?

So, now having really thought about what I consider most important in my next headphone purchase, I think I’ve narrowed it down to “life-like” drum kit presentation.

I’ve been listening to my various cans and, when I do or don’t like what a headphone is doing to a track, I am making my judgement primarily on drum presentation by a large margin. Part of that is sound stage and imaging, as is obvious, drum kits are typically spread across the sound stage. But my focus is on timbre of the drums. I understand that dynamics are important for conveying the impact of a drum strike too, making the drum presentation seem more real.

I’ve done a good bit more reading since initially posing this question, in part to try and spend less than £500, and there’s two headphones that are currently in my crosshairs second hand on eBay. An Elex and an OG HE500. Those who have heard this two, will they deliver what I’m after? Or deliver the requisite drum presentation more so than my current cans (HD560S, DT990 600 Ohm, GL2000)? By what margin would they be an improvement, if at all?

Hello,
I’m afraid I can’t answer that question about the two headphones.
There is one that is dynamic and the other is planar.
The Elex is okay, but often plagued with a quality problem. Hifiman is no different in that respect.
But you’ve seen and heard less of it in the last six months.
That was different last year.

If you really want to go for the drums like that.
I can again refer you to the Dan Clark Aeon R/T closed.
They are absolutely suitable for rock.
I heard the best Highway to Hell with the Rme Adi 2 Dac I had for a short time and I thought that was not reproducible.
With the Aeon R/T closed and a different Dac, you get there again.
And other rock songs are also very good to listen to with it.
From my personal point of view the best headphones for rock.
Why?
I have never heard the whole drum kit so well with the great cymbal, punch, power and strength that seems predominantly authentic.
Not even the Lcd 2 can do that so well.
And also very clean left-right separation, with Eock I hear the music exactly as you thought it was when you recorded it, at least that’s how it seems to me.
With the Fostex Tr x 00 or Denon D2000 it was already good but with the Aeon R/T I find the whole thing even better.

Just for your information, Massdrop is currently offering the Aeon X for $399, so it won’t get any cheaper than that and should still be able to cover your target budget for the customs costs.
And I would take the closed version instead of the open one, if it convinced you.

2 Likes

The Elex has a surprising amount of bass for an open back. I have been enjoying them very much for a year and a half.
I think the HE500 like a lot of mods. If you are not into mods I would consider that point.
At this price point ($599.00US) I am VERY excited about the HE6se V2’s. But they might be hard to get where you are and they need a serious amp to sound great.

My newest favourite are the LSA HP-2’s. They are sold by an American outfit, but made by Kennerton in Russia. They had a Black Friday sale for $799.00 (595 pounds sterling), that might still be on, shipped anywhere in the world. The company is Underwood HiFi.
Do you have access to any used Kennerton stuff? They have nice closed backs and open backs, dynamic drivers and planars. Maybe you could find some used Magnis for under $500.00. My HP-2’s (based on the Gjallarhorns), have the most clear, detailed drum sound I have ever heard. You can hear every drum strike vs just a bassy boom.

I definitely plan on climbing this family tree, as money permits. :grin:

4 Likes

All of the Hifman cans are interesting, I agree they need power to sound good, and can sound great for the right music, under the right conditions. People do seem to mod the heck out of them, and I am probably going to swap the grills on my HE400se at some point, despite not being modder.

They all tend to have a weird recessed section around the 2k area, right where I expect the big portions of rock vocals and guitar at. Because of that, I always view them as a great complimentary headphone, but have a hard time thinking of them as ones you build a collection around.

1 Like

I was unimpressed with HiFiman through my first three sets (Yes, I am a glutton for punishment), the HE4XX’s, Sundara’s and Edition XX’s.

However, the HE6se V2’s turned me around on the brand. Of course you need a Strong amp to hear their best. My only mods so far have been adding a few Nuggets.

They are not my favourites, but I think I will be keeping them for a long time. They are in my top 5. :+1:

3 Likes