Portable amp/dac for argon mk3?

The Q1 Mk2 I have found to be very otg cable sensitive. I own 3 different otg cables and 3 of them work differently between the Q1Mk2 and my phone (samsung s8) or my PC. The official fiio OTG cable works best without drawing power from the sources. I got one cable from amazon that Zeos linked once in his videos and those work too, but they draw power from my pc / phone. And I got one from ebay that works fine on my phone without drawing power but does not work at all with my friend’s s10e.

*edit - I think you might need to go through the hassle of finding the right OTG cable.

There isn’t a certified Android compatible for accessories

And that’s exactly why

Yeah, some of the cables can just not work or be super finicky. The fiio cable I linked was the best otg for fiio products I’ve tried and had the most success with. No draining the battery, reliably working, and doesn’t stick out too much because of right angle

Will try that one as well

I have the Topping NX4 DSD with argons, gives more than enough power in high gain mode. I’m very pleased with the sound too.

I ordered the btr5 but i may pick up the q5s and cancel the btr5. I have an iPhone so I won’t be using the Bluetooth option because it’s only aac. decisions…

I mean the q5s is a higher tier amp, so if it’s in your budget…

1 Like

Yeah, I just can’t imagine the btr5 sounding as good or as powerful. I’m probably gonna get the aeon 2 closed to go with it. Be nice to be able to run anything off of it as well.

The aeon 2 does run off of it btw, balanced it’s pretty good actually. I gotta actually go post my impressions of the btr5 now lol

2 Likes

Now that’s interesting. I’ll be interested to see your impressions. Just feel the q5s will be better for around the house when I’m not at my desk. And of course when I travel. But the btr5 may somehow be able to keep up, we’ll see.

Do you like your m11 over something like the q5s or btr5? M11 sound any better than either?

I think the m11 sounds pretty close to the q5s without the thx module, and the btr5 has a similar signature but isn’t as good, but I think the btr5 is a better value.

I actually just use my m11 as a transport and have an ifi xdsd strapped to the back of it

2 Likes

Ok, thanks. I may just go with the q5s because the android system on the m11 will age but if I’m using my phone with the q5s I’ll be fine for years.

Sounds like a solid plan :+1:

1 Like

How do you like the ifi xdsd? The single ended with balanced wiring seems interesting.

I really like it, I sold my mojo for it, and it’s got a balanced yet warmer and enjoyable sound. The 3.5mm balanced I have to get adapters for since it’s obscure but when you get them it does sound pretty nice too. The bass boost feature is great, very well implemented, gives a nice natural bump where it matters without causing a determent effect to my ears. Overall if you want to get something warmer and more fun sounding the xdsd is great, although I despise the finish

2 Likes

Ok, yeah that shiny finish… Dbrand and other skin companies should make skins for these, fiio and other products.

there is a new ifi portable DAC/AMP on the way
I saw a picture on the ifi Facebook group- looks like the Fiio Q1 II
it has also Burr Browns and a 4.4 out
though a bit less power… 300 instead of the 500mW at 16Ohm

1 Like