Portable amp for fostex t50rp

Hi everyone. I recently got myself a pear of fostex t50rp. I tried to drive them with my fiio q1 mk2 but this does not get the job done.

So I am looking for a new portable amp+dac to drive these. Preferably Bluetooth or including a player inside.
What amp would be able to do this for a reasonable price?

Thanks a lot in advance.

1 Like

What’s a reasonable price? I may not be able to give you the best options, but that should help others in here narrow it down for you. I just snagged a pair of t60rp and my fiio q5s powers them just fine.

1 Like

Depends on your budget, but personally i would go with an xDuoo XD-05 Basic/Plus with their bluetooth adapter: the 05BL Pro. Lots of power for a portable unit while being relatevely cheap. Looking at xDuoo’s website the basic version costs 155 dollars, the plus 289 dollars and the bluetooth adapter 65 dollars.
I have had the original XD-05: it sounds pretty good and is pretty neutral. The XD-05 Basic is basically a more recent version of the one i had.

If you wanted a more colored and warm sounding dac/amp you can look at the Micro iDSD Black Label from iFi. If you are ok with buying used you can find one for about 300-400 and although it lacks bluetooth, it has even more power and generally sounds better than the xDuoo, but it’s pretty colored, so it comes down to your personal preferences. I currently have this and it’s endgame material as far as portable amps go.

Also +1 for the Q5S, from what i have read online it’s a pretty good.

Definitely a great unit IMO, regardless of how it measured and was reviewed on a specific website :wink:. Really like the idea of being able to change up the amp modules as well.

One thing to note, if you have you phone in one pocket and the q5 in the other sometimes the BT can cut out if you cause to much ‘shock’ to the unit. I only experience this though when doing more intensive yard work. Walking around in the house it does just fine, or just keep in the same pocket.

1 Like