Possible set ups?

So due to a current deal on jamo s 807 speakers, I was hoping to make a set up for my room. More specifically for my TV set up. I would also want this system to also play my vinyl records through a ath lp 120. So I have two set ups that I was thinking was either A) get a smsl ad 18 with the above speakers, using optical for the TV ( for games and blu rays and streaming), and rca for the turntable, or B get a receiver but this has problems since I am under a budget so I cant do anything a lot over 250 and dont know of what to get in that range that can still do the same things as listed above. I am looking to do a 2.0 set up that will eventually add a sub later.

I am also open to speaker replacement options,

Check this out:

Add this DAC:

This is almost guaranteed to sound better than an AD18. It costs $270. You lose bluetooth, but you didn’t list that as a desired feature above.

So blue tooth is not a thing that I would care about. I do wonder if I can just use the Pioneer by it self at first? Also do you happen to know if this reciever is the same as the one listed above?https://www.amazon.com/Pioneer-Bluetooth-Component-Receiver-SX-10AE/dp/B075SY52NL/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=Pioneer+A-10AE&qid=1592589931&sr=8-1

Yes. You can. It has only analog inputs. You can connect your turntable and your TV via its stereo analog output.

The receiver is not the same thing as the integrated amp. The integrated amp has a built-in phono stage, the receiver does not. To use your turntable with the receiver, you would need to buy an external phono preamp.

My rationale behind these recommendations was first, that’s a huge price cut on the integrated amp. Your looking at a $360 piece for $190. It also has a built-in phono stage, so no need to buy an extra piece of gear to get your turntable to work. The only drawback I see is the integrated amp has no digital inputs. That’s why I included the little SMSL dac. You can connect your TV via optical, and if you ever wanted to, plug in a laptop or tablet via USB to stream music from your choice of streaming service. You can forgo the DAC and use the TV’s analog audio outs, but the DAC should sound a little better. I did look at some entry level stereo receivers. I didn’t see any that had phono stages or digital inputs for a price, that once you add a phono preamp and/or dac, that would be less than the combo of the integrated amp and a DAC.

O just meant that since I was going to buy everything piece by piece, if I could just set up the receiver or Integrated amp first so that I can have it run and then add in the DAC when I can. My turntable has a built in pre amp so would think i am good in that area. and I was just wondering the two where similar since model numbers where so close and i didnt notice the difference. with the integrated amp do you know if you can listen to the thing with headphones through the front port? also if using the reciever would the DAC be redundant or help out as well?

also would those jamo s807 work for the 2.1 set up with the amp and dac set up or should i consider others?

Oh! Your turntable has a built-in preamp! That’s helpful.

The receiver and integrated amp (IA) appear to differ in these ways:

-Receiver has higher rated power, but I bet the IA has the higher quality and better sounding amp section

-The receiver has a subwoofer output, the IA does not

-The reciever has Bluetooth, the IA does not.

Yes, it looks like you can plug headphones into the front panel of either unit.

The reciever has a built in DAC that appears it can only be used with bluetooth. It has no digital inputs. You will need a DAC for either unit if you plan on using any digital sources.

The subwoofer question… You can use any pair of stereo speakers with a subwoofer. The way you connect it to your receiver/amplifier/preamp/whatever varies depending on how they are equipped. Here’s the back panel of one of my subwoofers (please forgive the dust):

Most subwoofers you buy will have similar connections but might use slightly different labels. In the case of the receiver you’re looking at, it has an RCA line-level subwoofer output, so the easiest connection is to run an RCA cable to what is labeled “LFE IN” - as I have done with my setup. If you buy the IA, though, you’ll need 2 pairs of speaker cables. Use one pair of speaker cables to go from the speaker outputs of the IA to the speaker inputs on the sub’s back panel. Then use the other pair of speaker cables to go from the sub’s back panel speaker outputs to the speakers. In this second configuration, the knob labeled “LOW PASS” here (others may call it “Crossover”) becomes relevant. Adjust that to a frequency where you like the blend between speakers and sub. Make sense?

1 Like

yeah granted from what I hear its not the best so will probably upgrade it much later down road but works good with the current smsl sa 50, so not in any rush. And thanks, so regardless of either choice I will probably buy the dac for both input and general quality. And I think so but when I do get a sub will probably just keep refering back to this post

if not gonna go past 2.1 - I’d get a yamaha 303 and add a sub with Hi Level inputs

if you think you will ever want a center channel you need an AVR

I actually was looking at the yamaha rx v385 since its at dell and i have credit there so i can add bigger budget that way, Would this or the Sony STR-DH590 be worth considering as compared to the pioneer that was recommended? Also would it still be worth it to add the DAC listed above to the set up if I go with the yamaha?

Many prefer Denon and Yamaha AVR for their menus , setup and room correction.

Dac- which Yamaha - any AVr or 2 ch receiver with optical input has a DAC in it. Analog 2 ch receivers with only rca inputs don’t have a DAC