Possible upgrades from a Topping NX4

I’ve been using a topping nx4 with my lg v20, but I’ve become quite annoyed with its battery life when being used as a dac. Does anyone know of any better choices in the regard of matching features but lasting longer?

Does the nx4 drain the battery of the v20?

Hadn’t payed much attention, but since there is a separate charge port from the one used for the dac, I assumed that it wouldn’t drain the v20.

Does your battery similar show something that has an arrow on it indicating battery drain? yeah just wanted to check

Now that you mention it, hooking up the nx4 to the v20 puts the v20 in a usb charge mode. But it’s not like the v20 charges from it so I didn’t really care.

And just to check you are dissatisfied with the nx4 battery life then? Well how much are you looking to spend and what are you planning to run with them?

I’ve been using the p1s with them and recently the aeolus for a bit. I don’t need to use the bl-03 necessarily with them. I’m actually using the bl-03 on the v20 right now because the nx4 showed low battery and I don’t have a charger with me.

As far as how much to spend. I don’t know. I wouldn’t be buying anything right away, just want to know what my options are.

I just dislike having to baby devices especially in the middle of using them v_v

I think the xd05 or xd05 plus would be beneficial for you, with it’s fairly large battery and good dac, and lots of power for the p1 to take advantage of

2 Likes

>13h battery life
Aw yeahhh. That sounds better to me. Do you have experience with the xd05 plus? Sound difference coming from a sabre dac? It looks awesome.

So it may be a bit cleaner sounding dac wise, and should have plenty of power on tap. The pro is really nice, and has plenty of features. The main downside is that you have to have a 1/4 inch to 3.5 mm but it’s a non issue in my mind. Also they sell an addon that makes it bluetooth if you are interested in that in the future. It’s just a powerhouse lol. Overall I really like the unit and would pick up a 05 plus if I didn’t already have something like the idsd micro bl.

1 Like

Yeah, I just saw the bluetooth module. Sold. :slight_smile: Wouldn’t have to take 2 devices around with me if it also replaced the es100. Thanks M0N!

I don’t use bluetooth so it doesn’t really matter for me but I know people that do enjoy having that option

You make it sound like you always have a setup at arms length everywhere so I guess bluetooth wouldn’t matter ^^

I guess that’s pretty true lol, but I was more talking about that I don’t mind having a massive strapped together brick in my pocket

“Is that a massive dac/amp/dap in your pocket or are you just happy to see me?”

Ah that’s right. I should triple stack because I can lol. It looks absurd

1 Like

I see that this has a replacable opamp. Generally reccomended is the Burson v5i-d. What difference would this make? Anyone think this would be worth it?

I think it mainly would improve the soundstage and spatial aspect, and might improve the low end a bit

1 Like