Potential damage to my headphones?

Hi again.
This is an extension of an older question of mine. I have a pair of CD900st’s, and they had a problem caused by the jack not being screwed on tight enough or something, which I resolved thanks to a heads up someone gave me. Turning or unplugging the jack before the fix caused a crackling noise in the left (maybe the right one to, can’t remember) cup. I’ve been anxious ever since if that crackling could have damaged the headphones in some way that altered their sound, but there’s no way for me to know that since they had the jack problem out of the box (had connectivity issues to - sound only reached the right cup to begin with). And I’m not sure if this is actually the case, but on most tracks it feels like I more prominently hear from the right cup. This still seems to be the case when I reverse left and right. For all I know that could be an illusion caused by my obsessing, since it’s not there on some tracks, and when it is, I question if it’s even audible.
So my questions are: could that crackling have caused permanent damage that altered the sound, and could the thing with the right cup just be inherent to how the headphones deliver frequencies?

If the cracking was loud enough it could damage the driver, but most likely not an issue, unless you were using the headphones at a very high volume. The channel imbalance you are experiencing sometimes happens, it could be a damaged driver, bad pairing at the factory, the cable, or something in your system.

If the issue is big enough you can measure it with your smartphone, play some pink or white noise and use an app to measure sound level. If you cannot measure a significant difference then there’s no issue.

1 Like

Thanks @elira , that’s good to know :slight_smile:
Do you know of any specific apps like that? The only thing I find are ones that measure sound levels in the environment.

I was referring to those, just place the driver next to the microphone at the same distance for each side.

1 Like